OS Update Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Sorry folks, it would take an eternity to search the forum for an answer to this little bundle of joy (not!), but I did try.

G3 iMac, 450 MHz, OS 10.4.10
An elderly friend invited me to "fix her computer" after her granddaughter had "done something to it". That took an hour of sorting and restoring.

Then came the update to 10.4.11. Downloaded just fine, and the installation began. After 30 minutes I had to leave. 3 hours later the rotating cog was still at it, my friend informed me.

I know, the computer is old, and Tiger is probably not appropriate for it, but she bought it in good faith (read 'ignorance'), and has had relatively trouble free use of it, aside from her own mistakes.

So what is to be done about the OS upgrade installation? It should have finished within an hour, even with that old, slow processor. There are no original installation disks, the computer was bought at auction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Did you use the Delta update or the combo update?

I would download the stand alone version and install via Safe mode. (the delta update is about 110 mb smaller than the combo)

If the update is applied, try restarting in Safe mode, then restart normally. Could also try fsck in Single-user mode.

I have a G3 500 MHz iMac w/Tiger and it runs quite well. (don't count these old Macs out yet... ;D

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a G3 500 MHz iMac w/Tiger and it runs quite well. (don't count these old Macs out yet... ;D

Thank you Soulwar. Because I live a long way from the situation I resorted to (her) use of the forced restart, and that seems - so far - to have got the iMac going again. Whether or not the update has installed itself properly, and whether the system is operating properly I shall have to wait and see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.