hard drive space

Reaction score
Some reason i only have 30 gb left in my hard drive when the only thing big is my music that takes up 26 gbs..
when i click info on my hard drive it says 79 gb used on disk ?
what does this mean and how do i get my space back
thanks Andrew

Reaction score
Some reason i only have 30 gb left in my hard drive when the only thing big is my music that takes up 26 gbs..
when i click info on my hard drive it says 79 gb used on disk ?
what does this mean and how do i get my space back
thanks Andrew

First of all, you have to remember that everything in your hard drive takes up space. Everything from the application, to the OS itself, they all take up a substantial amount of space other than your music. Keep in mind, also, that your Mac makes a copy of all your music when you import them into your iTunes library, so you might want to check up on that because I didn't realize that problem when I first got my own Mac. In fact, the same goes for importing pictures into iPhoto, the Mac makes a duplicate.

Second of all, caches do take up a lot of spaces in your computer if you do not clear them on a regular basis. I'd recommend programs like Grand Perspective to scan your computer and give you an overview on what is taking up spaces in your Mac. Remember, however, not to delete files that you are unsure of, because it may cause your Mac to work strangely - speaking from experience as well.

Reaction score
There is also a great utility called What Size that gives a very neat diagram of everything on your drive. The points that PsYkOoOoO are good, be careful of what you toss out! There is a real possibility that the problem is a log file that is growing out of control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.