Removing Applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook... playa status
I'm totally new to the mac OS X and I was wondering what the proper way was to remove applications. For some reason I installed Diablo II out of shear boredom and played it for 2 days and realized how outdated it was. Other than dragging the Diablo II folder out of Applications and into the Trash, is there anything else I should concern myself with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

Firstly look for uninstaller in the application or the software CD.

If none download a little utility called AppTrap and just drag application icons to the trash. AppTrap will do a search through all your files and remove anything associated with the application from Preference Files, Extensions, Library etc.

Reaction score
This is the only way of removing programs from your mac!
Their has got to be some other way, within the mac without resorting to a 3rd party app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
It's pretty simple really, although it seems strange if your coming from a Windows background.

If the software has an uninstaller, use it. If not...

You drag files into the Applications folder to install them. You drag them out of the Applications folder into the trash to uninstall them. It's really that simple!

Reaction score
Ok thats a little clearer, i wasn't to sure and i was looking around for some term along uninstall or delete but nothing. So if you drag it out of the App folder it takes all files along with it leaving nothing behind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Because of the wide variety of makes and models of hardware Windows is expected to run on, it requires literally tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of files to run properly. Software applications seem to follow suit and often require hundreds of tiny files as well. Installing software requires writing to the registry and adjustments to Windows configuration. Uninstalling software is as equally complex.

OS X is different. While it isn't always the case, applications are often composed of one single file. Browse your Applications folder and Command-I some of the applications. They are a single file. Delete the file and you uninstall the application.

It sometimes seems to simple to be true, but once you get used to it, it makes a whole lot more sense than what you are use to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.