Answer to a problem?

Reaction score
I just got a new hard drive because when i started up my mac i had the flashing folder with the question mark thing.

Ran the installation disc and it couldn't locate the drive still.

After being jerked around by the technical support from apple they finally said it was the motherboard that was messed up.

But!!!!!! That doesn't make any sense because when i plug in an external hard drive via the USB port it will recognize it so that should mean that the motherboard or "logic board" should be fine.

The only other possible thing it could be is that the firmware needs to be refreshed which i guess is the problem.

So i'm guessing i should just take it to a mac store and get it refreshed and see if the system files are corrupt right?

Thanks!
Jerf

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just got a new hard drive because when i started up my mac i had the flashing folder with the question mark thing.

After being jerked around by the technical support from apple they finally said it was the motherboard that was messed up.

But!!!!!! That doesn't make any sense because when i plug in an external hard drive via the USB port it will recognize it so that should mean that the motherboard or "logic board" should be fine.

That assertion is incorrect. When you plug in an external USB hard drive, you are actually plugging in several different devices, one of which is a hard drive controller - separate and distinct from the internal hard drive controller built into your machine.

The only other possible thing it could be is that the firmware needs to be refreshed which i guess is the problem.

So i'm guessing i should just take it to a mac store and get it refreshed and see if the system files are corrupt right?

Thanks!
Jerf

Assuming there is an available firmware update, it should have been automatically downloaded via Software Updates. Have you tried resetting the PRAM (Press and hold Command + Option + P + R directly after turning the machine on, continue holding until you hear three system chimes).

Tell us a little more about your Mac - which model is it and what model of hard drive did you buy?

OP
J
Reaction score
Frame kitt..... TOTALLY NEEDED

Thanks!
Jerf

Okay so the problem the whole time is that my original HDD did not have the Frame Kitt on it.

I had no idea what that was cause there wasn't one on there causing a slew of idea's on what it could be....

So when the computer was jolted it came out and wouldn't go back it.

EXTREMELY SIMPLE FIX!!!! For a macbook 13" a 2.5" HDD Frame Kit which is like $15 plus S&H will hold your HDD in place...

Yeah i'm pretty much an idiot i know but thats how i learned so there you go.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Jerf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.