• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

burning dvds...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I'll be buying a external superdrive next week, Im just curious on the difference between dvd+r and dvd-r, and which should I use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Just buy a DVD±R, solve all your problems.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
k, whats the difference between that dvd±r and a dvd-/+r

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
it's the same. advertisers just can't be arsed to find the symbol so they use -/+

P

pharmer

hype.it said:
it's the same. advertisers just can't be arsed to find the symbol so they use -/+

I was told that Apple superdrives can only burn DVD -R. I have not tried a DVD+R in my superdrive. I have used both formats on my PC and I have not really noticed any difference in terms of speed of burning, integrity of the data burned or the quality of burned data or video. Some reviews have stated that DVD-R's are more compatible with more brands of DVD players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Most, if not all, current model Apple machines by default use a pioneer drive based off the DVD Forum DVD-R preferred standard. Unfortunately DVD-R don't support multi-layer burning, where as DVD+R media does. I think the DVD Forum is pushing to make DVD-R the standard for the obvious piracy reasons (hollywood can buy >4.7GB DVDs, consumers cannot. without multiple layers, it makes it harder for consumers to make a copy without knowledge of compression or the proper tools).

Besides the notebooks, all Apple machines support many other optical drives with an IDE interface. I personally upgraded to the Pioneer A07-U (8x +/-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
that link supports my statement on DVD+R multi-layer burning.

while DVD-R have the same potential for larger capacities, they were setup using a much denser film (which makes sense, they came out first and we've come a long way in LASER technology and its applications with thermodynamics). a denser film would make it harder for a LASER to have consistent reflection of light.

however, they are coming closer to having dual-layer DVD-R:
http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release125.html

i think this kinda defeats the purpose of having a standard, since DVD-Rs work in the majority of DVD players(about 96% and DVD+R is about 87% according to CDRinfo test results), and this new dual-layer technology can't guarantee the same compatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um.... McFanboyism comes to mind....

*trashes mac*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Oh great plan! Trash Mac? Now all you have is Linux ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.