3g purchase with previous contract

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So how is this going to work?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-is-finally-official

Says that people with previous contracts started before May 27th are basically screwed and that you can only get a phone with a two year contract. Did I read this right and is Apple really going to alienate their customers like that? Do they expect us to break a contract with AT&T just to sign another one?

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Don't mind me. I did some digging and found it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're reading it wrong. For people who bought the phone on or after May 27, they can simply swap the phone and tack on the $10 extra per month. For everyone else, your current plan is going to be scrapped and you get a new two year plan starting from the day you buy the iPhone 3G. So you'll still get the subsidized pricing.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You're reading it wrong. For people who bought the phone on or after May 27, they can simply swap the phone and tack on the $10 extra per month. For everyone else, your current plan is going to be scrapped and you get a new two year plan starting from the day you buy the iPhone 3G. So you'll still get the subsidized pricing.

That's what I found out after looking around some more. Plus I forgot that companies will gladly extend your contract. The only thing that they normally don't do is offer you new contract phone prices. Well, time to find some one that wants a first gen 8gb iPhone.

Reaction score
I dont think they will make you break your contract. They will just offer an unsubsidized price and I think it will be 399 and 499. The reason I say that is because if you adthe early termination fee to the phone price this is basicly what you get so if they go any higher than that then it would be pointless to buy a high priced iphone when you could just cancel your contract and by a phone with a new ontract for the low price plus 200.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.