I want to upgrade my PB hdd, will GeekSquad do it?

Reaction score
I have a Powerbook G4 1.67 PPC with an 80gb hard drive. I go to law school, and this laptop is perfect for what I do (notes, papers, internet, the occasional video conversion), so I don't want to buy a whole new machine, so please don't tell me to just go buy a new Macbook or Macbook Pro. What I want is to upgrade my hard drive to 250gb. This way I won't have to stash most of my media on my external 300gb, and I can carry it with me. I'm home so rarely.

I found a site that sells 250gb hard drives for the Powerbook for $100. Unfortunately, I am NOT comfortable installing it myself. All of the send-away services want $350 to replace my hard drive. I noticed that GeekSquad will replace hardware for an in-store fee of $50. Think this applies to my situation? If not, what should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They might do it... but unless they're certified Apple service providers your warranty will be void. But it's probably already out of warranty, so whatevs :)

But read through the detailed www.ifixit.com guides first. You might be able to give it a shot your self first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
They'll do it, but be aware that Geek Squad these days are glorified salesmen. Ever since Geek Squad was purchased by Best Buy, their main job has been to sell. I would recommend finding a local Mac shop and having them do it, thus supporting your local economy instead of some conglomerate like Best Buy. Plus you may save some cash.

Check out the Apple Consultants Network for certified shops near you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would only take it there if they can do authorized repairs.

OP
D
Reaction score
They might do it... but unless they're certified Apple service providers your warranty will be void. But it's probably already out of warranty, so whatevs :)

But read through the detailed www.ifixit.com guides first. You might be able to give it a shot your self first.

i've got some warranty left, believe it or not. i think it ends november 2008.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
i've got some warranty left, believe it or not. i think it ends november 2008.
In that case get someone from the ACN to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.