Cost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
Im living in Canada and I have noticed that the apple store sells the Ibook for 1299$ which is a lot more then the 999$ one on the US site. I know there are exchange rates but exchange rate wouldnt put it 300$ more it would be closer to 180$ more. I was just wondering what other fines/taxes goes on to the price of 1180$ to make it end up costing 1299$ Canadian before taxes?

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but would those charges Apply if I was being sent the computer from Ontario. Since thats where Canadian orders are processed.

Reaction score
They aren't made in Canada, so they have to be imported at some point and pay the tax for it. Apple just passes that added tax on to you in the form of a higher price.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh okay, never thought about that. Thanks.

T

tariq

nah apple's just screws non-american customers including the UK. we pay higher prices for no apparent reason and sales tax on top of that

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'd probably cheaper to get someone from the states to buy it and mail it to you and just pay the duty on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
mynameis said:
They aren't made in Canada, so they have to be imported at some point and pay the tax for it. Apple just passes that added tax on to you in the form of a higher price.
Well they aren't made in the US either, so by that reckoning you should have to pay more as well...

How about a quick trip across the border? Or if you want to save some cash, order it through the educational discount store, provided you are a student/teacher or happen to know somebody who is.

Btw. they don't actually check if you are or not, so maybe just order it there anyway;)

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Well they aren't made in the US either, so by that reckoning you should have to pay more as well...

The US doesn't tax all imports like Canada does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok...

But they probably do tax expensive imports like that right?

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Canada's website doesn't give Student discounts to highschool students. I need to be going to university for a student discount but on the Apple US site they give discounts to K-12 students. Do you think if I call Apple theyll give me a Student discount even though I am in Canada?

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Oh ok...

But they probably do tax expensive imports like that right?

I have no idea, I wouldn't assume the taxes aren't that much or Apple would bring its manufacturing over to the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
A few options.....

First off, do you have a credit card? how do you plan to purchase it? When i signed up for the apple.ca account i received a promotion that would have saved me $40 off any purchase $400 or more. that's one way to save at least some cash and i believe the student discount on the ibook 12 inch is about that much. the one thing good and bad about apple is that they control their prices very strictly. no apple retailer can sell their product lower than someone else so as a buyer you can rest assured you know that it would not have been significantly cheaper if you bought it somewhere else. If you know someone in the states, they can order it for you and ship it to you. i believe you then can transfer the warranty over to your name. this is based on my experience when i called dell canada to ask about purchasing from the dell usa. the only catch is that you cannot purchase from dell usa with a canadian credit card. but i guess i am not directly answering your question, give apple a call and see what they say. you never know. as well if you know someone in university get them to purchase it for you and see if you can get the warranty transferred to you afterwards. always look for loopholes!!

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Computer.Geek said:
First off, do you have a credit card? how do you plan to purchase it? When i signed up for the apple.ca account i received a promotion that would have saved me $40 off any purchase $400 or more. that's one way to save at least some cash and i believe the student discount on the ibook 12 inch is about that much. the one thing good and bad about apple is that they control their prices very strictly. no apple retailer can sell their product lower than someone else so as a buyer you can rest assured you know that it would not have been significantly cheaper if you bought it somewhere else. If you know someone in the states, they can order it for you and ship it to you. i believe you then can transfer the warranty over to your name. this is based on my experience when i called dell canada to ask about purchasing from the dell usa. the only catch is that you cannot purchase from dell usa with a canadian credit card. but i guess i am not directly answering your question, give apple a call and see what they say. you never know. as well if you know someone in university get them to purchase it for you and see if you can get the warranty transferred to you afterwards. always look for loopholes!!

Did you order using a credit card over the phone to recieve the 40$ discount or over the net? I plan on purchasing with a credit card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yah it has to be order over apple.ca. but keep in mind that promotion was on last month. sign up now and you will receive e-mails for deals they are offering.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it's if you sign up and by making an account or you actually buy an item and then you get a discount?

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't save me any money. Apple Canada's education discounts only apply to universities. Since I am in highschool I can't get any discounts I can use offers but I have to spend more money. Tobad they don't have something like the Apple US site where K-12 students get discounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, they actually check your student ID at apple canada...

At the US & german stores they don't care about the ID, you just pick a highschool / university from the list and then off you shop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can still do the same on apple.ca but...

They will ask you to fax or show verification that you are at that university.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.