3.06GHz iMac Ordered, Just A Quick Question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS 512MB
So just a quick question really (and ive searched but cant seem to find an answer although im sure it has been asked before)... will it be possible for me to back up my hard-drive with time machine without an external hard drive, just using the internal hard-drive???...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I don't think so but I'm not definite on that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's possible to use a second internal hard drive as a Time Machine backup. However, the iMac can only hold one hard drive, so you can't add another internal hard drive for backup purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
could you partition your internal drive drive to create a spot for time machine to back up to?

i dont think it would be logical as if your hard drive dies you will lose your back up info as well. it is more of a curiosity question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
sanity1082,

I've done this before myself on a PC, but felt much safer moving the backup to a separate drive.

No reason why you can't do this on a Mac... but you answered the primary objection to a co-use hard drive in your post - losing all your backup if the drive goes belly-up.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
could you partition your internal drive drive to create a spot for time machine to back up to?

i dont think it would be logical as if your hard drive dies you will lose your back up info as well. it is more of a curiosity question.

Yea, but it sort of defeats the purpose

Reaction score
The point of having a backup is to save your data if your hard drive fails. Data corruption as such isn't likely unless you do some bad mojo in the depths of the system.

So, get an external drive. It's dirt cheap these days. And it's totally worth it (saved my term papers more than once).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.