MBP Memory Issue Help!

Reaction score
I purchased http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8724767&type=product&id=1200703058546
Quantity(2) so i can have 4GB of Ram. I put both Modules into my MacBook Pro Model MB133LL/A. No issues the Mac post fine. Now i go to system info and it only states that I have 3GB of Ram?!?!??! Bad stick? Do i need some sort of firmware update? I dont think there is an issue with PC6400 Gaming Memory?

---- And No i didnt buy that ram for that price, no way in **** i would. I bought Each module for $53.08 x2 Brand New from bestbuy. ---

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Just a guess, but...

Supports 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305614
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ore-2-duo-2.4-15-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

The ram you bought is PC6400 DDR2. Even Corsair recommends PC2-5300
http://www.corsairmemory.com/configurator/corsair_custom.aspx?id=474743

"The 15-inch MacBook Pro computers introduced in February 2008, incorporating the Intel Core 2 Duo processor on 45 nm process technology, provide two RAM slots that accommodate 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMMs up to 1.25” in height. The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) compliant, unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC."
http://developer.apple.com/document.../apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003899-SW24_1200331177

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
No, that's normal. They support up to 4GB but only recognise 3GB... sounds daft, but I've heard of this one before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2GHz 2GB RAM 80GB HDD
Thats kinda strange. That model of MBP (early 2008) should support all 4GB.

The fact that it is a different speed than your MBP runs shouldn't cause it to read an incorrect amount, since the memory will just down clock itself to 667MHz (or it should).

It may be that one module is partially dead (sometimes when DDR dies, it goes half at a time). I would recommend either taking it back to Best Buy or doing an RMA through Corsair. Also, go ahead and get the proper speed (PC2-5300/DDR2-667) just to eliminate any potential headaches from that.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thats kinda strange. That model of MBP (early 2008) should support all 4GB.

The fact that it is a different speed than your MBP runs shouldn't cause it to read an incorrect amount, since the memory will just down clock itself to 667MHz (or it should).

It may be that one module is partially dead (sometimes when DDR dies, it goes half at a time). I would recommend either taking it back to Best Buy or doing an RMA through Corsair. Also, go ahead and get the proper speed (PC2-5300/DDR2-667) just to eliminate any potential headaches from that.

:( I'm afraid i'm going to have to do that i guess or try each stick at a time and go from there. I wanted to pc6400 ha. Thanks a lot dude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:( I'm afraid i'm going to have to do that i guess or try each stick at a time and go from there. I wanted to pc6400 ha. Thanks a lot dude.

Yeah. The only Apples that run 6400 at the moment are the new iMac and the Mac Pro and Xserve. I would just take it to BB, tell them one of the modules seems to be dying and that you need 5300. If they give you any crap you can also do a direct RMA to Corsair (I would imagine). Just call them first and give them a heads up that you want to exchange for the 5300 component. I doubt they will have a problem doing an exchange, since you are moving down to a cheaper part.

Corsair part number for what you need: VSA4GSDSKIT667D2

Like I said, you should be able to use the DDR2-800 part, but it will only run at DDR2-667, so you may as well save yourself some cash. I would imagine the MB/MBP may go to 800 some time in the next year, but that is just the rumor mill and my own speculation.

OP
F
Reaction score
Yeah. The only Apples that run 6400 at the moment are the new iMac and the Mac Pro and Xserve. I would just take it to BB, tell them one of the modules seems to be dying and that you need 5300. If they give you any crap you can also do a direct RMA to Corsair (I would imagine). Just call them first and give them a heads up that you want to exchange for the 5300 component. I doubt they will have a problem doing an exchange, since you are moving down to a cheaper part.

Corsair part number for what you need: VSA4GSDSKIT667D2

Like I said, you should be able to use the DDR2-800 part, but it will only run at DDR2-667, so you may as well save yourself some cash. I would imagine the MB/MBP may go to 800 some time in the next year, but that is just the rumor mill and my own speculation.

Dag on right they'll take it back ;) i just bought everything last night. I guess ill just grab the cheap "PNY" or probably better off grabbing Kingston. BB only carries Corsair 6400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dag on right they'll take it back ;) i just bought everything last night. I guess ill just grab the cheap "PNY" or probably better off grabbing Kingston. BB only carries Corsair 6400.

I would skip on the cheap PNY stuff. You tend to get what you pay for with memory. I'd go with Mushkin, Crucial, or OWC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.