• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting and Burning DVD's, need faster method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm using visualhub to convert and burn a ton of files to dvds, but they take 90 mins to encode and burn to a dvd, and if I do multiple back to back, it takes even longer...I'm looking for a faster method of doing such tedious work, any ideas? Or is 90 mins about the fastest I'm going to get? Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There is a lot that goes into encoding and it is a heavy CPU user. If you can, I suggest batching the files over night to a hard drive and then burn the next day.

VH maybe faster in your current testing, but consider the quality, or rather, compare the quality for the same source. Can you see or hear differences? What are the playback bit rates?

You can often gain some encoding speed by loosening your quality requirements and so I have to wonder if that might some of what you see in the time difference.

OP
P
Reaction score
I tried using the batch converter with visualhub, but its taking all the separate files I have and authoring them into 1 dvd...I want them each to be separate files, how would I go about doing this? I can't just drag and drop multiple because VH merges them into one file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't have an answer to that one. Perhaps another tool (ffmpegX) or some use of Automator could be helpful. I don't have VH to play with it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a quick question for the OP. What are the specs of your Mac?

I tried VisualHub here on 2 systems converting an AVI to a DVD ready to burn.

My iMac G5 2.1Ghz iSight with it set to Maximum performance was going to take 90 minutes.

I switched over to my Intel Mac Mini with Intel C2D 2.16Ghz CPU and it dropped to 18 minutes or less and this was using the exact same AVI to make it fair.

I think you can see why I am asking your specs. 18 Minutes is pretty fast for the AVI I was converting. 90 minutes though is quite long.

Toast does a great job but the conversion part takes at least 2+ hours on the G5.

OP
P
Reaction score
macbook, 2gigs of ram and intel duals

and VH will turn the .avi's into .vob's if I tell it not to author the dvd, but then im left with .vob's, and both toast and VH try to re-encode them before burning them, so it doesn't help at all

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is strange. I just converted an AVI. Just clicked the DVD tab, dropped in the AVI and hit start. After it was finished it was an Image file. Opened Toast and the Copy TAB and clicked on the Image. Burned right away to the DVD and plays back fine.

Only thing I do not like about this method VS using Toast for all of it is Toast puts chapter markers which is handy to get to scenes fast. VH does not. But Toast is so slow in Encoding. Maybe XStep is right and it's better quality but this looks as good as the AVI did before I converted.

And since you have an Intel Mac, I don't understand why yours is taking so much longer to convert.

OP
P
Reaction score
in VH under the advanced tabs is a place for chapter markers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in VH under the advanced tabs is a place for chapter markers.

Hey, thanks for that. I normally just use toast and wait, but with that option I might use VH a bit more! Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
I average about 20 min to convert an ago to DVD using visualhub!

Reaction score
Ok, Um I've searched on this forum and can't find anything on what i want to do. I just want to throw in one of my DVDs and put it on my iPod. But I can't even get Fight Club or Transformers to convert to mp4. whats the quickest way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You haven't done a good search. Search the forum for the words; convert dvd ipod. Do the same on Google.

Also, click on the first announcement in this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Ok, Um I've searched on this forum and can't find anything on what i want to do. I just want to throw in one of my DVDs and put it on my iPod. But I can't even get Fight Club or Transformers to convert to mp4. whats the quickest way?

The quickest way to getting yourself in trouble? You'd have to break the encryption on a DVD to do so. Mentioning how to do so is against the rules here.

From the Mouth of the Mods:

You may not discuss breaking DVD encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
This includes DVDs you own. Even if you own the DVD, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The quickest way to getting yourself in trouble? You'd have to break the encryption on a DVD to do so. Mentioning how to do so is against the rules here.

From the Mouth of the Mods:

You may not discuss breaking DVD encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
This includes DVDs you own. Even if you own the DVD, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.

'Nuff said :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.