Are there any ghosting or disk imaging utility for Mac?

Reaction score
At work I use Norton Ghost to install a bunch of laptop with the same image at once. Was wondering if I can do that with Mac?

Or if I have a few USB enclosure is there a way to slap a few HDD in and clone a machine and just installing it on multiple system assuming they're all Macbook Pros with similar specs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ghost for Unix which is open source should be able to do what you're asking.

http://www.osalt.com/g4u

Just be sure you take in account that for every copy of OS X you install this way that you have a license for it.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have the Leopard family pack good for 5 systems. I see that Leopard doesn't require any kind of serial # etc.. how does this work? What happens if I ended up putting on more than 5 systems? Or what if one dies and I replace it?

Or even what if I have to reintall the OS on the same what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.06Ghz 24" | MacBook 2.5Ghz | iPods
Time machine lets you restore a snapshot onto another Mac system.
If all your Macbook Pros came with pre-installed OSX there is no "licensing problems"
:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Basically nothing is going to happen if you were to install it more than 5 times or on more than 5 machines - you'd breech the EULA of course, and it's not something that you should really be doing, so we're not supposed to talk about it here ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Apple doesn't worry to much about their licensing platform and serial numbers because you can't buy a mac without also purchasing a licensed copy of their OS. So essentially all they potentially have to worry about is loosing upgrade fees. You have already paid for the OS at least once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
To actually answer your question though, superduper! will make an image on external media of your system. You can then copy this image using superduper! to the internal HD of a mac. It is also free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.