Best wireless router for home use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
For one desktop PC connected via ethernet cable and one MacBookPro connected wireless - no other computers in the house - small one story house - which wireless router gives the best performance? Thanks, Bill.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For one desktop PC connected via ethernet cable and one MacBookPro connected wireless - no other computers in the house - small one story house - which wireless router gives the best performance? Thanks, Bill.

802.11n routers currently offer the best speed and range. There really isn't much of a difference, in terms of capacity for client devices between the different models. The key criteria for shopping different router models is really transmission rate (802.11n-spec routers are about 130Mbit/s, 802.11g 54Mb/s and 802.11b 11Mb/s) and range. In addition, you'll want a router made by a company that supports Macs. Although anything that meets one of the 802.11 specifications should work just fine, it's comforting to know that you can go back to the vendor should you need support. D-Link, Belkin and of course Apple, support Macs.

Personally, I have a D-Link DIR-655 and would recommend it to anyone. Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo and Belkin also make great hardware. I'd just stay away from no-name brands and anything used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Personally, I have a D-Link DIR-655 and would recommend it to anyone. Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo and Belkin also make great hardware. I'd just stay away from no-name brands and anything used.

+1 on the D-Link DIR-655 - I use it with my MB, a couple of Windoze machines, and one Ubuntu laptop - no issues at all, great range, easy to setup.

I also have an Apple Airport Extreme that I use in the office - again, works well with everything I mentioned above, but does cost more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Connect 625W supports Mac. If you do a Google have a look at the manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.