acquired an iMac G3

Reaction score
Hey kids...
I recently acquired an old imac g3... it's lime green... slot-loading, 2 firewire ports, 2 usb ports...
lacking a mouse and a keyboard. I tried hooking up my boyfriend's PC keyboard that's usb. It didn't work. When the computer started up it gave me the message that the computer was shut down wrong and i had to press "ok" ... since i had no mouse, i used the enter button and it worked. then it loaded the home screen and no buttons worked again.
Any ideas?

OP
A
Reaction score
Add:
I think something may be wrong with both USB ports, because i have this memory card reader that's supposed to glow orange as long as it is powered... and wheni plug it in, the orange glows for an instant and then it goes off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
ummmm....i would suggest getting rid of this computer if it is the usb ports that are not working, but if the keyboard is not compatible (not all are, u should try one that is, as could be the case with ur card reader), then it would not work. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great stuff. USB keyboard and a mouse should work no problems. What OS does it have on it something like 8.6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I recently acquired an old imac g3... I tried hooking up my boyfriend's PC keyboard that's usb. It didn't work. Any ideas?

A PC USB keyboard, and probably your card reader, will [should? - hedging my bets there :)] work natively with OS X, both Panther and Tiger. I've use the following keyboard brands successfully - Genius, Excel, Hewlett Packard, Logitech and Microsoft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.