7200rpm vs 5400rpm

Reaction score
Hey again guys. Just wanting to know again if its worth the upgrade to the 7200 200gig HD that you can get as an option with the macbook pro? As I have just found a real good deal at dabs.com and it has the 2.5chip BUT ONLY the 250gig HD as you cannot choose the spec, apart from that it is still the top spec 15" MBP. saving about £250 or 550-600 dollars ish. Please let me know if you guys think the savings outweigh the performace difference if much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I would say yes. When you move from any laptop back to a desktop; that extra lick of speed you always feel, navigating the desktop, is almost always down to a faster HDD. I'd say go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
OK, granted, I've not used both, but I went for the 5400rpm drive myself, so I thought I'd share my experience...

I've got the 2.5ghz MBP that you're looking at and decided not to go for the 7200 drive because I was (to be honest) already spending way beyond my budget. I'm filling up my HDD at a rate of knots, and as I'm going to purchase Logic Pro 8 soon, that's going to take me to within 50gb of the hard drive capacity. And Logic Pro 8 is going to set me back exactly £250. From my point of view, if I'd seen your deal, I'd have thought "I sacrifice a little speed, but I essentially get 50gb more space and a free copy of Logic Pro 8", which, if I were in your shoes, would've sealed the deal for me.

Just my 2p worth, but if there's some expensive software you've been pining for, might be worth thinking about...

Either way, a MacBook Pro is a beautiful thing, and whichever you go for, you'll love it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, granted, I've not used both, but I went for the 5400rpm drive myself, so I thought I'd share my experience...

I've got the 2.5ghz MBP that you're looking at and decided not to go for the 7200 drive because I was (to be honest) already spending way beyond my budget. I'm filling up my HDD at a rate of knots, and as I'm going to purchase Logic Pro 8 soon, that's going to take me to within 50gb of the hard drive capacity. And Logic Pro 8 is going to set me back exactly £250. From my point of view, if I'd seen your deal, I'd have thought "I sacrifice a little speed, but I essentially get 50gb more space and a free copy of Logic Pro 8", which, if I were in your shoes, would've sealed the deal for me.

Just my 2p worth, but if there's some expensive software you've been pining for, might be worth thinking about...

Either way, a MacBook Pro is a beautiful thing, and whichever you go for, you'll love it. :)

Interesting post. However, every time Logic Pro lags because of your drive, you might think differently. It's hard to weigh it up, but in reality, Notebook HDDs don't need to be huge, you can always get fast, cheap, external drives for long term storage. I would say ESPECIALLY if you're going to use software like Logic Pro, get the faster drive; it is really nice using a notebook with a fast drive. The difference is notable.

Logic Pro 8 is just sublime, BTW, you'll love it either way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM
Yeah, I can't wait to get Logic Pro. :) I think I'll be ok with my 5400rpm drive when I get Logic, seeing as I'm coming from an Atari ST* with a floppy disc drive (720kb per disk!) and a sampler with a ZIP disk (a slightly more respectable 100mb per disk). I bet neither of them even come close, eh? :D

* Which, by the way, was more stable than any PC or Mac I've ever used. Could be another angle for the PC vs Mac debate... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I can't wait to get Logic Pro. :) I think I'll be ok with my 5400rpm drive when I get Logic, seeing as I'm coming from an Atari ST* with a floppy disc drive (720kb per disk!) and a sampler with a ZIP disk (a slightly more respectable 100mb per disk). I bet neither of them even come close, eh? :D

* Which, by the way, was more stable than any PC or Mac I've ever used. Could be another angle for the PC vs Mac debate... ;)

I came from an Atari ST as well, although a long time ago. I had mine from 1988 to 1997, back in the days when computers lasted 10 years (well almost). The ST was absolutely rock solid, especially when it came to MIDI - I used Pro24, and eventually Cubase 2.0 (that seemed like all you'd ever need back then).

I got Cubase VST in 1997 on the PC when I switched, and that really killed music for me... I just lost it. Suddenly I felt more like a software engineer than a musician. Fruity Loops revived me from my slumber about 7 years later, but shortly afterwards I migrated to the Mac and ended up with Logic Pro. It's incredible!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.