• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Changing the speed of clips

Reaction score
I am able to change the speed of video clips using the hare/tortoise slider in iMovie 4 but the increase in speed is not drastic enough. How can I speed my clip up even more ?

I can't find any software on the web to do this, without forking out for Final Cut etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I can't find any software on the web to do this, without forking out for Final Cut etc
Bingo.

In other words, iMovie has limitations. If you want more features and such, then you will have to upgrade your software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This little tutorial mentions another software option for slowmo that might be able to do the opposite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
if you download the SECOND latest iMovie (the iMovie that just came out, in my opinion, is a complete regression); you can get it for free on the apple website, i could be wrong. Im sure its on the net somewhere though you can speed up a clip, let it render, and then repeat the process until you reach your desired speed. it's a little make-shift, but does the trick. (that'll be as good as you can get without getting fc, etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
if you download the SECOND latest iMovie (the iMovie that just came out, in my opinion, is a complete regression); you can get it for free on the apple website, i could be wrong. Im sure its on the net somewhere though you can speed up a clip, let it render, and then repeat the process until you reach your desired speed. it's a little make-shift, but does the trick. (that'll be as good as you can get without getting fc, etc)

I was thinking the same thing (about the export then import thing). If you are looking for a program that gives you unparallel performance in time-control, I recommend looking into Adobe AfterEffects. Yeah, it's a little spendy but the time-remapping tools and the included keying plugin "Keylight" (for green/blue screen effects) make this gem totally worth it. Check out VideoCopilot.net for some great free video tutorials. One of them deals specifically with time-remapping for that neat Matrix effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.