Problem with Mac mini

egw

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an older Mac Mini that is currently not working. I had opened up the case to add some more ram, when I replaced everything and tried to boot I got the disk not found error. I originally thought that it was the hard drive so I bought a new hard drive, but low and behold the new hard drive isn't being detected. I also, plugged the old hard drive into an external case and I can see all of the files on a different computer. My DVD drive is being detected, but I still can't find my HD. Do you think this is something to do with my SATA card or is this a mother board issue? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a G4 Power PC Mini or older Intel Mini? I have a reason for asking.

If you are not sure, was the RAM in pairs with 2 Laptop SoDimms?

OP
E

egw

Reaction score
Its an Intel Solo Mini. Dumb question, whats better a 1.5GHZ PPC or a 1.5GHZ Intel? Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In some benchmarks I have seen, the 1.5Ghz G4 was a bit faster than the Core Solo, but I still prefer owning an Intel Mac as it will be supported longer and can easily be upgraded to a C2D and then it would fly. I just did that to mine.

Ok, since it's the Intel Mini, You have to take off that top assembly that holds the Optical drive and the Hard Drive. Are you sure when putting it back together that the plug seated properly that connects the top part to the mainboard? Did you check to also be sure nothing came loose where the drive plugs in?

The G4 mini's RAM is on the side so that top assembly does not have to be removed. That is why I asked which Mini it was.

OP
E

egw

Reaction score
Is there any possibility that the SATA card could be bad - just for the hard drive?

OP
E

egw

Reaction score
Alright, I just took the computer apart again, plugged the hard drive in nice and snug as well as the DVD drive. Turned it on and it still can't find the hard drive. Tried using disk utility and whatnot and got nothing.

Also, I switched out the hard drive with a blank one and found out that the hard drive with all my files on it still works (put it in an external casing).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.