Cannot install Mac OS on my laptop...please help!!

Reaction score
Okay, so a couple of days ago, my computer completely froze, so i shut it down. When I turned it back on I got that grey/white screen with the occational blinking question mark on the folder. So I put in my installation Tiger Mac OS CD 1, hit C etc.
I repartitioned my hard drive into one partition, and selected the GUID in the options window as well. After it successfully partitioned, I went to First Aid, and pressed Repair disk. It said that the "volume bit map needs minor repair", but it fixed it successfully: "1 HFS volume repaired."
After mounting the volume I went back to Installer, agreed to the licence, and when i got to select a destination, I see my volume with a red exclamation point on it: it says "You cannot install MAC OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."
I just don't understand why though...I feel like i did everything right. By the way my SMART status is verified, and the partition mode is GUID.
Please help!!
Thank you.

Oh yeah at the bottom in Disk utility this is what the volume is described as:
Mount point: /Volumes/Untitled 1 Capacity: 74.2 GB
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Available: 74.2 GB
Owners enabled: Yes Used: 42.3 MB
Number of Folders: 2 Number of Files: 2

Macbook 10.4.10 Mac OS X (10.4.10)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you repartitioned the disk - did you actually erase it? If so, make sure you choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type.

OP
I
Reaction score
doesn't it erase the disk if you partition it?
I did do the extended (journaled) way.
I still don't know what to do....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.