Finder thinks hard drive full....

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have OS X 10.4.11 on a Intel core 2 Duo Imac. When I Have 5 folders within Macintosh HD these add up to 107Gb used. Now my hard drive is 250Gb its stated capacity is 232.57Gb but Finder indicates I have only 3.62Gb available.

I am not sure what is going on any ideas very welcome.

Regards

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
You might wanna try erasing the free space of your hard drive...!! (Not sure if this will work for sure.)

Open Disk Utility>Select your Macintosh HD>Click on Erase Tab>Click on Erase Free Space button on bottom left.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would reboot the system first and then check the available disk space again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reboot, empty the trash and see what space you have

also, how much ram have you got on that system and how many programs were open when you noticed the lack of disk space

how much virtual memory are you using (use Activity monitor to guage that)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. When I used the disc utility to erase free space it ran out of space....and crashed.
I have tried restaring and quitting apps but alas it has not helped. I have 3 gb ram on the machine and I am now backing up to a mybook and will reformat the disc then install the new operating system...
Will see how that goes. When backing up finder shows 101Gb so I do not know why my hard disc is showing as full?

Regards

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.