returned to Factory Settings?

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro has returned to factory settings, all my files on the desktop are gone and including everything in itunes, imovie, iphoto. All other applications have been reset also.

Computer seems to be working fine and I have had no troubles up until now.

When I look at how much memory is available on my hard drive, it looks as if all of the data is still on the drive somewhere and has not been deleted, otherwise, I would have seen a great increase in free space if all my files were erased.

I am afraid to run techtools or any other diagnostics for fear of losing any data that might be recoverable.

I greatly appreciate any help and advice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you rename your Home Folder by any chance?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Change the new home folder that the system created to some thing else, like dummy. Then rename the folder you changed it to back to the original name. Once done, log out and log back in.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks all is back to normal. I'm living in China and for a moment, I thought the government was out to sabotage my information!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.