• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Capturing from Old 8MM Sony Camcorder.

Reaction score
I Know this probably has been asked lots of times, but I didn't find anything suitable for me.

I want to transfer my old Video8 tapes from my old Camcorder to iMovie or iDVD for that matter. The camcorder only has a video Output. I've found a couple of products online like the Pinnacle video capturing device for mac. The idea sounds perfect, but I've read a lot of bad reviews already about it's transfer quality.

I also have a miniDV sony camcorder, I heard there is a way to reprogram the output of the camcorder to be an input, so you are pretty much connecting your device to the minidv camcorder and then Firewire to the mac.
(Sounds kinda crazy, and I dont know if its true)

Any help, will be appreciated....I've Searched, and Look like crazy and still cant find anything.

Thank YOU!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I also have a miniDV sony camcorder, I heard there is a way to reprogram the output of the camcorder to be an input, so you are pretty much connecting your device to the minidv camcorder and then Firewire to the mac.
(Sounds kinda crazy, and I dont know if its true)

Yes this is true. I don't know how to set it up, for I do not own a miniDV camcorder. But from what I've read on various threads on this subject, I know it is possible. You can do a "miniDV pass through" search or perhaps someone who has accomplished this can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Actually it MIGHT be true. Not all miniDV cameras have pass through capability. Start with your manual. If you have trouble with that, then search the net for your camera brand and model for; analog to digital pass through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
For something like this, it may be easier to have a professional "post" house do this. I know there are alot in my area (Seattle). Don't know about your part of the world. I've also just recently learned that Costco Wholesale does transfers of Hi8/8mm/16mm/photo slides to DVD at their photo centers. Can't say anything about the quality but with their satisfaction guarentee, it maybe worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8-core MacPro
TheFedex1,

I suggest you to find a Digital8 camera. When you connect this camera to your computer via Firewire you´ll be able to transfer analog Video8 tapes to your computer.

Joster

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.