• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

computer science majors?

Reaction score
i know all of us love our computer and what not...but are there any computer science majors in here because im going to school in the Fall and im still deciding what i should major in...and maybe i could hear some insight from some of you guys. anything is helpful. thanks :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You're starting your freshman year? If so, wait a while before declaring a major. Try out a few things first. But FWIW, I see more EE's than comp sci majors at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i have a lot of cs major friends since im going for ee. their first years were filled with just learning the basic things like office and a little programming with c++ and other programmig scripts. they seemed to like it but the projects they had seemed very time consuming. its a good major it just takes alot of time out of your day when something is assigned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I was a computer science for my first two years of college. I really do enjoy programing (which is a good portion of a typical CS degree), but I really found out that I do not enjoy math. Higher level math (i.e. you will be taking various types of advanced math into your senior year) is a staple of a CS curriculum.

This isn't a bad thing at all, but hopefully you are a person that doesn't mind/enjoys that field before you make any commitments. Did you have to mention any kind of major or curriculum preference when you applied to school? Dysfunction has a good point, you don't need to start your freshman year knowing what you want to do. By the middle of your spring semester-sophomore year I would try to have a better idea as you will move away from core gen-ed classes and enter into your major-specific ones starting in your junior year.

OP
I
Reaction score
well now that i found this out...im not to sure i want to do it...i love computer..but i cant deal with all that math...is there any major i can do that deals with computers..but no so much of the math aspect?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't be discouraged just because of me! I would look into the course requirements at your school for that specific major to see just what they need you to take.

Computers without math? I would investigate Information Technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was an art major and work in computers ;)

I'm not certain you'll escape math. Especially hex :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
yea IT is the way to go if you dont want to do math. its mainly trouble shooting networks and all that other lingo. its just hard to find a school that offers it, well that was for me. if i wasn't doing EE i would have definitely have gone to the IT route

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hate to tell you, there's plenty of math in networking too. Hard to get away from math in computers ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
these are the required math courses for CS at my school

MATH 120 Introduction to Linear Algebra
MATH 130 Discrete Mathematics I
MATH 151-152 Calculus I - II
MATH 200 Probability and Statistics

i was ok in math in high school b's and c's...i just dont want to do horrible...and i want to just be able to be on my mac all the time :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that's a really light load as far as math is concerned for CS. At my school (and others that I was researching at the time), I'd say that that list would be nearly doubled.

For IT, the load was pretty light across the board. You simply don't dive as much into the theory of how software actually works since you aren't doing nearly as much programing. Less focus on the core of the system and more on the implementation of said system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
these are the required math courses for CS at my school

MATH 120 Introduction to Linear Algebra
MATH 130 Discrete Mathematics I
MATH 151-152 Calculus I - II
MATH 200 Probability and Statistics

i was ok in math in high school b's and c's...i just dont want to do horrible...and i want to just be able to be on my mac all the time :D

Im a comp sci major and I love it. The math req's in my school are basically the same, but without the statistics. The one math class I really disliked was discrete (i dropped it and hope to take it again another semester, but i think it was more the prof's fault then the class). The homework can be very time consuming, but if you enjoy the material (and i do) then it's fun! I'm hoping to get a job at apple or google when I'm done school (a man can dream, right?)

good luck with whatever you choose!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.