• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

mac-forums movie club: vol I - 2001: A Space Odessey

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome to the first mac-forums movie club thread.
please see this thread for discussion of the idea.
checking interest: Mac-Forums "movie club"

in regards to the poll at the top, this is for the next film we discuss. i felt for this list, i'd take a few from the AFI list linked above. Feel free to suggest more films for the next poll in the next movie thread.

for the first thread in the series, i've decided to go for the American Film Institute's top science fiction movie as noted in the recent 10 top 10 list
i thought this might also be a good pick since Arthur C Clarke passed this year.

link to 2001 info on allmovie.com and a small part of the synopsis:

With assistance from special-effects expert Douglas Trumbull, Kubrick spent over two years meticulously creating the most "realistic" depictions of outer space ever seen, greatly advancing cinematic technology for a story expressing grave doubts about technology itself. Despite some initial critical reservations that it was too long and too dull, 2001 became one of the most popular films of 1968, underlining the generation gap between young moviegoers who wanted to see something new and challenging and oldsters who "didn't get it."

feel free to discuss any aspect of the movie: story, direction, cast, acting, effects, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
2001 is a great start, great film excellent direction and always a fun watch. Plus I haven't watched it in a couple months :)

I'm voting the The Godfather, because my wife still hasn't seen it and it'll help me force the issue ;)

edit: Now to go watch 2001.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, it's been some time since i've watched 2001 myself. i'm sure it's going to look spectacular on my new lcd tv :D

it's interesting to me that Kubrick directed this movie. it seems so sterile compared to many of his other films, though it is easily as visually stunning as the others. i guess what he really does is amplify, in his own way, the mood and palette of the story. 2001 is more vast, a clockwork orange is more visceral and violent, dr strangelove is more paranoid, and the shining is far more unnerving for being directed by Kubrick.

i'm really looking forward to watching this epic again - even those with no images. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's fun to compare and contrast 2001 with Full Metal Jacket ;)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i still need to see that - well all of it anyway; i've seen bits and pieces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one else can make England a believable Viet Nam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
So when do we start talking?? is there a set date or what??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't had a chance to rewatch it yet. I probably remember it well enough to discuss some parts of it, but it's a mammoth movie to try and discuss in a single shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
2001 was way ahead of its time, and still a great film even today

I don't think star wars - a new hope would have been as good without 2001 setting such a high bar for special effects

A genius author, a genius director, its must have been a totality mind blowing film when it was made (we are so used to CGI and effects now that its impact is somewhat less now)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I don't think star wars - a new hope would have been as good without 2001 setting such a high bar for special effects

completely agreed. considering that most people attribute "star wars" with the real beginning of good sci-fi effects. sometimes you need to look back a little farther. it's kind of like attributing the beginning of punk music to the sex pistols.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still find some of the effects shots to be amazing. Take for instance the series of scenes detailing travel from the Earth to the Moon. The attention to detail is amazing. The random floating objects, the oblique shadows, and specifically the scene where the stewardess brings the food trays from one level to another within the landing ship, particularly the transfer between axis', awesome.

Oh and since I'm thinking about it, the zero gravity toilet instructions, brilliant!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Typical clean Kubric style too, there's some lovely foreshadowing during Franks birthday wishes scene through the conversation with Dave about his thoughts on the mission.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yay, the movie club has started! I think I tried to watch 2001 a couple of years ago and couldn't finish it. I like Kubrick and a couple of his movies (Lolita, FMJ, the Shinning). Maybe it's because I am too young to be completely appreciative of his work but some of his movies are slow and very difficult to sit though.

I will try and watch it again Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Watch the lighting and composition. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those that have it, 2001 will be showing tomorrow night at 4:30 PDT on Universal HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It's vewwy vewwy quiet.

Although a great movie in it's time, it's lost a lot being viewed in the modern day. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, just that you really have to appreciate Kubrik and this movie to sit through it all the way.

Sorry, my glass is always half empty.

FWIW, I think you should include some newer movies in the vote. They don't have to be "Witless Protection" (my roommate bought that movie and I refuse to watch it, but something good and slightly obscure that will get people thinking.

Ever hear of "The Last Supper" with Cameron Diaz? That was definitely a good one and was produced after 1990.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally watched it.

First thoughts. The story was way ahead of it's time. The sets must have been incredible. But I don't see how this should have been a 2+ hr movie. It goes on and on and on. Everything takes forever to happen.

The movie didn't pick up IMO till HAL turned over to the dark side. I didn't understand the ending at all. I don't understand the significance of that wall. I don't understand what happens once he gets to Jupiter.

Kubrick was a crazy man. He really went wild with this movie. It's good but it's way too slow to sit through it again.

I would agree with VI. To attract more attention to this thread we need some more current movies. I was really excited about the movie group. It not that I dislike older movies, there are plenty I enjoy, but it will be difficult to attract attention to the group when all of the movies are 2x old as the participants of the group.

Six weeks between movies is WAY too long. One or two a month would be nice. It's not like discussion will die once the second movie thread is started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The complaints about the clarity of the film are pretty common. The funnier part is that Kubric REFUSED to discuss what his intentions were and simply stated that it was up to the viewer to draw their own conclusions.

I do know, however, that he was fascinated with extra terrestrial life .. so that may help fill some of the gap. But the basic rundown.. the monolith was placed on earth and caused the use of tools.. which is what brought about the evolution of man. The one found on the moon emanated a transmission (the high pitched squeal when they were taking pictures) that was aimed at Jupiter.. and Dave meets those that placed them when he gets to Jupiter, and beyond.

Now regarding the 'in it's time' type comments, IMO either a movie is good and holds up to viewing or it doesn't. Doesn't mean you have to like em either, but IMO if it relies on a time frame to be relevant, it's a fad ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be pretty mad to if everyone came up to me and asked me what my movie or piece of art is about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I agree.. but let me tell you... I spent almost 6 years doing exactly that

welcome to a fine arts education :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.