• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

.mac - Is this useful or a waste of time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.5ghz PB,1gb RAM,64mb ATI,80gb HD+PowerMac G4 867mhz,640mb RAM,60gb HD+AirPort xpress+15gb Ipod
Hello, I just bought a 17" powerbook and very happy with it.

I was just wondering what everybody thought of this .mac thing that Apple seem to like promoting. I was offered a discount on it when I got the powerbook but declined.

I already have email addresses and web space with my ISP so I don't need to take advantage of that. What are the other advantages of having .mac?

It seems virus protection is not really an issue with macs, but I have my powerbook networked to my unfortunate old Sony Vaio that has Norton antivirus with all the latest updates on it (therefore the Vaio has some viruses due to the uselessness of Norton - typical of windows xp based software I know) - so it seems that my Powerbook could get some effect from viruses off the vaio. Does Virex remove these mac-affecting pc viruses too?

If anyone has any experiences of .mac, good or bad, it would be helpful to know so I can work out whether it is worth getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the only gripe with having a Mac without Virus protection, networked with a PC, is that the Mac can spread PC Viruses to the PC, yet it will not affect the Mac...So, if you really don't care about the PC, then don't worry about it....You never have to worry about your mac ;)

As for .Mac...my experience has been good with it. It made it very simple to upload photo galleries, iMovies, and other stuff....Also, I thought the most useful feature was the ability to automatically put your iCal(I use iCal Daily...It IS my main calendar) on your .Mac site!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I personally like .Mac and use it often for syncing, bookmarks, etc. I don't use Virex (the new version is really buggy anyway).

I think .Mac will become even more important and integrated with Tiger and the new Sync Services.

D

dim

.Mac

schweb said:
I personally like .Mac and use it often for syncing, bookmarks, etc. I don't use Virex (the new version is really buggy anyway).

I think .Mac will become even more important and integrated with Tiger and the new Sync Services.

Well with .Mac it all depends, it is pretty usefull if you want upload pictures instantly. I have been playing with it and it is pretty inpresive. You get more space then what you ISP gives you, and the templates are really nice.

Right from iPhoto your able to upload your pictures to the .mac server so that anyone can view them as well as movie clips and so on. Another cool thing about it is that you can use Contribute3 from Macromedia. It connects direct to your .Mac account so that you can edit your webpage on the fly. It comes with some nice tempates you can edit to make it your own. Check out what I did at? homepage.mac.com/diim

I guess if your a professional developer then you don't really need it, you can get by with dreamweaverMx but if your just starting out test out Contribure 3, it's fun and easy to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.