Need RAM upgrade advice G5 Dual 1.8 w/ 128x2

B

bobby_bishop

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM on a Dual 1.8 (the one with 4 slots) and wanted advice on how to go. How do I know what RAM is compatible? Should I trade the 2 128mbs I have now for 256's? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

Reaction score
bobby_bishop said:
I'm looking to upgrade my RAM on a Dual 1.8 (the one with 4 slots) and wanted advice on how to go. How do I know what RAM is compatible? Should I trade the 2 128mbs I have now for 256's? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

i'm no expert on Mac or computers in general, but I just upgraded the ram in my G5 and Mac seems to be a bit picky about what ram you give it. It doesn't want mixed ram. I had 2 256's pc3200 400mz installed and I stuck in 2 512's pc3200 433mz and the Mac wouldn't read them...wouldn't even boot... so I replaced them with 2 512's Pc3200 400mz and it grabbed them right up, so be sure to keep the same type of ram.

No need to throw away your 128's, just add either a couple of 256's for a total of 768 or add couple of 512's and give yourself a boost to 1280. A boost up to a gig and a quarter would probably give you a nice boost in speed. Just make sure all chips are the same speed.

I have been using Corsair ram for quite a while on two Ibm style gaming machines and have had real good luck with their stuff. That is what I put in the G5 too and it seems to like it quite well.

James

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.