MacBook HDTV audio question

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new and ive read the other threads concerning connecting macbooks to hdtv, but im having a hard time understanding the audio. for the video, i got the mini-dvi to dvi adapter, and dvi-hdmi adapter, hdmi cable, and everything works fine. However, i read some threads and i bought a toslink cable, but it doesnt fit in my macbook or tv.
can you guys help with specific details in what to do?

1. do i need to buy an adapter for the toslink cable for my macbook audio jack?
2. do i need to also buy an adapter to my hdtv for the toslink to somehow fit?
3. did i buy the wrong cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
you might have bought the wrong cable...for the macbook digital audio out...you need a special kind of toslink cable...one thats pretty much the same shape as the regular headphone jack....what you need on the other side depends on what kind of input options your hdtv has...

as far as analog audio goes...you can get a 3.5mm stereo jack (headphone jack) to an RCA pair (pair of two mono...red & white usually)

Reaction score
sound problam

Hi, I'm having problems getting sound from my macbook aluminum 13" to my tv. The tv is a Samsung R8 Series 37" LE37R87BD HD. i got picture up by running a dvi to hdmi to the tv. i have no problem with picture but i can't get any sound. I tried 3.5mm jack from macbook to tv 3.5mm jack. got no sound. so bought a 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA and still got no sound. i even ran the the jack through my home cinema system and to no luck.

is anyone else having this problem and is there a solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you're using audio output from the correct jack. You should be taking the sound from the MacBook headphone output. It's very easy to confuse the headphone output jack with the mic input. Also take note of the previous reply regarding sound and the use of a toslink cable to obtain digital audio. If all you desire is analog, a normal cable will be OK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.