MacBook Pro DVI to HDMI QUESTIONS

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum and new to Macs as I have been a PC guy for many years, now I am starting over. I just bought a DVI to HDMI connector for my Hi-Def TV and I am able to get picture very clear but I do have a few questions, that I definitely would appreciate a response for:

1- My biggest concern is I have no sound. I read that DVI to HDMI is the one connection source that allows audio and video in one cable but for some reason I can not get audio.. Is there something I am missing, some setting I am not doing? I tried sound for a movie and from a website and no luck either way..

2- What should my display settings be, as I can't see anything on the screen without doing some major moving around of things, and it just seems off.

3- Will I be able to see my desktop and launcher from my tv, because currently I do not see it.

Thanks in advance and if you are short on time, my biggest concern is getting volume!

thank you again,
derek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am short on time, but the other problems are easy to fix and I'm sure somebody will jump in quickly, but HDMI really is a all in one solution for picture and sound, the problem you are having though is, DVI is not. No audio signal comes from the DVI what I have is (on my tv any way) DVI to HDMI cable, and then from there I plug it into my TV, one of my HDMI inputs has the ability to get the sound from another source and that is how I plugged in my macbook pro (the computer that I use for media) into the TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum and new to Macs as I have been a PC guy for many years, now I am starting over. I just bought a DVI to HDMI connector for my Hi-Def TV and I am able to get picture very clear but I do have a few questions, that I definitely would appreciate a response for:

1- My biggest concern is I have no sound. I read that DVI to HDMI is the one connection source that allows audio and video in one cable but for some reason I can not get audio.. Is there something I am missing, some setting I am not doing? I tried sound for a movie and from a website and no luck either way..

2- What should my display settings be, as I can't see anything on the screen without doing some major moving around of things, and it just seems off.

3- Will I be able to see my desktop and launcher from my tv, because currently I do not see it.

Thanks in advance and if you are short on time, my biggest concern is getting volume!

thank you again,
derek

1. you ned to connect the sound separately. i use my imac for this and do it with a 3.5mm headhone jack to RCA to plug my sound in but i believe you have a digital audio out for your pro. either way you need to run sound in whatever works best for you.

2. you need to go to preferences>display> and choose the biggest resolution that your tv can handle. you will have 2 display setting option boxes. 1 for your tv and 1 for your mac. see my answers to number 3 for more details on this.

3. you can have your dock and you can choose not to it depends on how you run it. you can run at what is called mirroring or choose not to. if you choose mirroring then what you see on your mac is what you you will see on your tv. if you trun mirroring off then you will just have like an extended desktop and it will not show your dock etc but only display what you drag over to it. i prefer non-mirroring myself and like the extended desktop. this will allow things like playing a movie in full screen on your tv and atthe same time have your standard mac desktop on your mac to do as you please while still having the movie playing. or have your itunes library on your tv so you can always see it and not have to minimize it or whatever when working on your mac desktop. there are many options with this. you will also notice that when you turn off mirroring you can actually have a desktop image for your tv and a different one for your mac. you do all of this by choosing what you want in the tc display box and the mac display box.

also if you use VLC, iTunes, DVD Player or whatever to watch a movie and want your mac standard desktop it will often default to your mac screen when you hit view in full screen even though you may have dragged the movie over to your tv and you will need to go into the preferences on your movie viewing software of your choice and tell it to use the tv monitor rather than your mac or it will auto switch back to your mac screen when you hit view fullscreen.

you can also choose how you want the screen to be extended like to the left, right, up or down meaning that if you go off the screen to your left then the mouse will continue in that direction. go to your display preferences and on your tv dispplay box you will see "arrangement" and when you are not mirroring you can then arrange the display boxes to extend to your left, right, etc... when you are mirroring it doesnt matter because both will be the same.

i think after you read this and then go look it will all make sense.

hope that helps.

let me know if you have any questions.

ooh i wanted to add that if you go and get Perian and install that then you will be able to play almost any video file in quicktime. it is donation software and is to me an essential piece of software. with perian and VLC Player i dont think there is a movie file type you wont be able to play. i prefer quicktime when possible but VLC is nice to have.

Reaction score
All the info that Fletch33 provided was really helpful.

The only way I'm finding to turn off my Macbook screen while using the TV display (I'm not mirroring) is to turn the brightness all the way down. Is there another (more correct) way to do this or will brightness adjustment have to suffice?

My question now is how do I turn off my MacBook monitor while still viewing the display on my television. I tried using "Sleep Display" as a screensaver hot corner, but that turned off both displays. Right now I'm just turning the brightness level all the way down, but I feel like there is a more correct way to turn the display off.

I'm using a 13" MacBook Pro, running on Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
All the info that Fletch33 provided was really helpful.

The only way I'm finding to turn off my Macbook screen while using the TV display (I'm not mirroring) is to turn the brightness all the way down. Is there another (more correct) way to do this or will brightness adjustment have to suffice?

well what bothered me about that was that it still wasnt off but just black with a glow. it didnt bother me all the time just when i was wanting complete darkness for a certain video and when that happened i just put a tshirt over the screen as there is no other real solution.

Reaction score
Settings problem?

I have been using a DVI to HDMI hookup for awhile now, connecting my 13" MacBook Pro to my Olevia HDTV.

I used to be able to simply connect the cords to my laptop (I leave them connected to the television) and the connection was recognized by both units. My friend connected her MacBook and it didn't work. When I then plugged in my MacBook Pro, the connection wasn't recognized.

Is there something in the settings that may have changed that I need to reset? I'm pretty lost here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.