big problem with external hd

Reaction score
So I made a separate user account for my mom on my macbook so that I could make her a separate iTunes library to use with her new iPod shuffle that I got her for mother's day.

I plugged in my external hard drive when I was logged into her account, thinking I could get some of the songs she wanted that were in my library, into her library by using my external hard drive.

When I tried to do it, it said I didn't have "sufficient permission" to do ANYTHING with the external HD???

How can I fix this? I eventually wanted to have all her iTunes stuff on my external hard drive, but right now it's not letting me do anything with my external HD in her account?????

Plus it worries me that my external hd would be useless if anything were to happen to my computer and I needed to use it with a different account/computer. I mainly use this to backup my whole computer. If it won't work with anything but my account, that basically defeats the purpose...

I have my HD separated into two different sections so it pops up as two separate HDs basically. When I plug it in in my own account, one of them just says "you can read and write" and doesn't give me any options. ("details" isn't even there) The other says you can read and write, only the "read and write" is in a dropdown menu thing that's greyed out (even when I click the lock and unlock it). Then "owner" and "group" are the only ones I can change but that doesn't do me any good...

What can I do to fix this?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
deathtolife,

What kind of filesystem do you have your two partitions formatted for?

OP
D
Reaction score
So I made a separate user account for my mom on my macbook so that I could make her a separate iTunes library to use with her new iPod shuffle that I got her for mother's day.

I plugged in my external hard drive when I was logged into her account, thinking I could get some of the songs she wanted that were in my library, into her library by using my external hard drive.

When I tried to do it, it said I didn't have "sufficient permission" to do ANYTHING with the external HD???

How can I fix this? I eventually wanted to have all her iTunes stuff on my external hard drive, but right now it's not letting me do anything with my external HD in her account?????

Plus it worries me that my external hd would be useless if anything were to happen to my computer and I needed to use it with a different account/computer. I mainly use this to backup my whole computer. If it won't work with anything but my account, that basically defeats the purpose...

I have my HD separated into two different sections so it pops up as two separate HDs basically. When I plug it in in my own account, one of them just says "you can read and write" and doesn't give me any options. ("details" isn't even there) The other says you can read and write, only the "read and write" is in a dropdown menu thing that's greyed out (even when I click the lock and unlock it). Then "owner" and "group" are the only ones I can change but that doesn't do me any good...

What can I do to fix this?!?!?!?

One is FAT32, because I wanted to be able to use that half of it with my mom's PC, too. If anything happened to my mac it'd be a while before I could afford another one, so I needed my most important school files to be able to go onto a PC if worst came to worst.

The other half says Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That half of it is just a copy of my internal HD.

OH and I just realized it's only the Mac OS Extended half of it that it won't let me open when I'm in a different account! Not quite as bad as not being able to use the whole thing. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
So only the Mac formated partition doesn't allow other users to modify it?

When you are logged into your account and view the drive's information, the Sharing & Permissions section should be displaying two users; you and "everyone". After unlocking it (via the lock icon at the bottom right), you still cannot give any more permission to "everyone" than read-only?

OP
D
Reaction score
For some reason it's saying I can "read only"????

Here's what it says:

Picture1-26.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Now I figured out how to change it to this, but it still says I don't have sufficient privileges when I'm logged into the other account!

Picture1-27.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unmount and unplug the drive, restart it, then plug it back in. You may have to restart the Mac too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.