sharing wireless router between pc and mac?

Reaction score
We recently bought a new imac running leopard and os x 10.5.3. My husband and I share a linksys wireless router. He is on a HP laptop. Recently, it seems as though my iMac is "stealing" away the internet from his laptop. When we are both connected, he cannot go to certain sites that I frequent; like there is a blocker on those sites or something. It's not a virus as when I am not connected to the internet, he can then visit the websites again. Does anyone know what the problem is and how it can be resolved?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A certain amount of bandwidth is used by each computer having access to the same wireless connection. A lot depends on what type of connection you have, how fast it is, and if there's enough bandwidth available. Cable DSL for example is infamous for not providing enough bandwidth during peak usage hours especially in busy metro areas.

Try changing the broadcast channel on the Linksys. Most wireless routers are set by default to broadcast on channel 11. Also try locating the router in a central part of your home as high up as you can get it. If your home is a two story home, put it somewhere centrally located on the second floor.

And lastly, have your husband check his wireless settings on the HP. Make sure his machine has the correct DNS settings for your ISP.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.