Customizing OS X

Reaction score
I'm new to using a Mac and I was wondering if there was a way to customize OS X's desktop to function more like a Windows OS. Really all I want is for open applications and folders to stay open in their own window instead disappearing whenever I move to something else, kind of like how Windows has the cascade option. Is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Unless you have some 3rd party app that is doing it... Nothing "disappears" when you move to something else...

If you are in a Finder window, or folder... and want to open another window... hold the Cmd (Apple) key while you double click another folder... Or simple press Cmd+N to open a brand new finder window from the default location... (I think the default is your Home folder)

You can also press Cmd+Tab to see the open Applications and Tab through them to change the focus to a different app.

Oh and BTW... Mac's aren't Windows... If you wanted something to look and act like a Wndows Machine... the very best thing to do is..... get a Windows machine ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.