Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.0GHz. 2GB RAM
I want to delete the following programs which I never use and never will use:
  • Mail
  • iChat
  • iSync
  • iCal
Is there any reason to believe that removing these would cause problems in 10.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
It wont hurt to remove them, nothing will happen. Personally I would take them out of the dock, leave them on the computer and never think twice about it.

If you want to uninstall them though, go for it, its your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP
Just out of curiosity, what programs do you use in place of these?
IMHO these are some of the best programs of their type . . . especially iChat and iCal.

I want to delete the following programs which I never use and never will use:
  • Mail
  • iChat
  • iSync
  • iCal
Is there any reason to believe that removing these would cause problems in 10.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I wouldn't remove Mail, since it's the only built-in way to switch your default mail client, and reinstalling it is a pain.

I really wouldn't remove any of these apps, since they don't take up too much space and aren't really intrusive. Even if you're really hurting for space, the combined storage you'd get bak would be what, 0.1% of your total capacity? Never is a long time, and you (or someone you come to share your computer with) might want them eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I want to delete the following programs <snip>

My two cents' worth - I removed 64 applications to an external hard drive and recovered only 7 Gb (approx) of space on the eMac. On advice however I left Apple apps alone, something about their using Shared Libraries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Don't delete, you have tons of room on your HD.

keep them in your applications folder.
why risk it?

Reaction score
i've deleted iCal and nothing has happened on my mbp...can't tell you about the other three though. however, like it was mentioned, Mail and iChat are the programs that have the "default" settings for mail and chat so deleting those two may not be very fun...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you don't use them, just remove them from your dock. As was stated earlier, they don't that up that much space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
were you running really low on space? why do you want to delete them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
You could easily delete them, but I agree with everyone here. You can just remove them from your dock. I have never used iChat, but I keep it because I may need it.. As for Mail, why?! Mail is amazing, and the best mail application I have ever used. Do you really need space that badly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
A lot of 3rd party apps also look for Apple's standard apps for various things, so removing them might not cause any issues right away, but could potentially be annoying later.

Reaction score
You can remove them but next time you run Software Update it can cause problems.
They will either return with the update, or could mangle your update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.