• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Powerbook wishlist demands

S

s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d

Hello

Not sure if this thread belongs here but bare with me. I haven't posted at this site IIRC but I have read alot on the latest craze and/or news on upcoming products. It also gives me a sense of anxiety when reports of a mobile G5 is nearing its release. A wishlist of features will really make the Powerbook that much more superior to any laptop you encounter out there in the wifi wilderness.

I've got a PB 17" 1ghz and it's still on the rail of effenciency but before I had the 17 I had a PB G3 14.1" 400mhz "Lombard" and it took me awhile to upgrade because I wasn't satisfied with the performance of the PB titaniums or the 867mhz PB until Apple satisfied my thirst for a gigahertz laptop. Well now my benchmark of a performance upgrade has also stepped up and if Apple wants my hard earned money, I think a list of demands wouldn't hurt to hear.

• I would like to see a revised version of the PB maybe an 18" PB? I know that might be stretchin' it. I'm a web designer/graphic artist and another inch of screen real-estate is always attractive to me.

Of course horsepower is the main issue here. I would not pruchase another Powerbook if Apple makes a leap towards the G5 and clockin' speeds up to 2ghz. If they release new models next year of just upgraded G4 chips I'll pass no matter how many new bells and whistles they throw in it.

How about a faster airport I mean beyond 54mbps. 108 is what most PC vendors are doing. I got a wireless network at home. 2 airport express: 1 hooked to the stereo and another to the printer. My main wireless or base station transmitor is a D-Link wireless router. My PB is no more than 5 feet to the nearest airport and supposedly the signal enhancements have also increased for the better but for some reason I have many .avi movies on a server and it just annoys me when video data is either to slow or being bottlenecked I'm not sure what's happening, but for the most part the video had transmitted over smoothly. If Apple ever releases a new hi-performance Airport that goes beyond the 108mbps or perhaps ditch the wi-fi technology and go Bluetooth, I would be sold and will gladly replace any of the hardware I own. Either/or it would be something that I would like to purchase.

Well I hope battery performance can also be upgraded. I can only max out 2 hours on my PB 17. Of course, I don't ever tinker with the energy saving features on and but I bought the 17" for performace not conserving. If technology is available that could stretch it to 3 hours that would also be a feature that would sell me easily.

CD/DVD burner burns at 8x 'nuff said.

If it ever happens you'll be lookin' at a new PB G5 owner (in a span of 2 speculative and highly anticipated years probably)
If I missed something, I would really like to hear it.

Reaction score
Until a 15in gets to be around $1500 I probably won't consider buying one. About the faster wireless, I doubt Apple will do the 108mbps thing since it isn't an IEEE standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Personally, i like to see a LONGER battery life, ideally five full hours! not 4 if i'm lucky or 3:45 mins if i'm not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
They will not do an 18" because 1) they are not going to go 1" more than the current largest 2) Most people complain that 17" as it is is already too large for portability. If you really need the size then get a desktop.

The next revision will 99% positive not be a G5. A G5 in a laptop will not come out until Summer 05 Fall 05 at the earliest. The next revisions will probably be a dual processor 1.6-1.8 ghz.

With these upgrades I would not expect any significant battery upgrades

Apple will not go to 108mbps until is considered a standard and widely used. I still think that the 54mpbs is a bit of overkill considering there are no consumer connections that even take full advantage of 802.11b your problem with the avi files is your internet connection not your network speed

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
trpnmonkey41 said:
Apple will not go to 108mbps until is considered a standard and widely used. I still think that the 54mpbs is a bit of overkill considering there are no consumer connections that even take full advantage of 802.11b your problem with the avi files is your internet connection not your network speed

I agree on this point for sure. As long as the DSL/cable modem are still at 10BaseT, 54mpbs is overkill. When the modems move to either 100 or 1000 then that is different.

OP
S

s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d

trpnmonkey41 said:
your problem with the avi files is your internet connection not your network speed

I doubt it, since all my .avi are on an external hard drive connected to my G4 desktop acting as a server and being transmitted WAN not thru the internet.

Also let me clarify, that the 108mbps request is not regarding internet conncetion but rather a faster wireless area network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.