• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Could it get any worse,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I can't believe they only paid you 150 back. I thought Paypal would completely reimburse for fraud cases like this.

Paypal are crud with things like that, I've had a bad experience too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh that one, well it says "This model comes with OSX 10.4.11 installed
The iBook is Airport ready and with an Aiport extreme card installed it will happily run wireless internet connectivity" does that not mean it can run wireless outta the box??

And as for the battery i could always buy a new one.

From the sounds of it you'd need to get and install the card to use the Airport. In an iBook that basically means taking out the keyboard and slotting it in.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram, 120HD Leopard // Ipod Touch 2nd gen 8Gb
From the sounds of it you'd need to get and install the card to use the Airport. In an iBook that basically means taking out the keyboard and slotting it in.

Oh yeah didn't read it right. Guess that one out of the question then.

Now what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They're not that expensive really. Here's one. You'll need the old style one for a G4 and it's not a big job to install at all - here's a guide.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram, 120HD Leopard // Ipod Touch 2nd gen 8Gb
They're not that expensive really. Here's one. You'll need the old style one for a G4 and it's not a big job to install at all - here's a guide.

Cheers. But unless i can find something decent for £180 im going for a pc. (or ipod touch :p)

Hannah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Its not just that, its the fact to buy a mac i'd have to save up for another year at least, were as i could just save for a couple of months and get a normal notebook.
What's so abnormal about an Apple notebook? It is just a computer. It does the same things any other notebook can do. There is no reason to not equate it to any other notebook from any other manufacturer. It's a different OS... big deal.

Let's stop pushing him towards a Mac and pushing bias upon him
I agree. The RDF seems especially high here lately. This isn't AmWay or some sort of wacky cult where you get bonus points for pushing others to "join up" and get an Apple computer. You don't have to "convert" or "convince" your mother, brother, sister, grandma, neighbor, coworker, pastor, classmate, stranger you met at the laundromat, random guy in line at the coffee bar, stray dog walking down the street....etc. into buying an Apple computer. Use them if you like them and leave it at that. Leave your bias at the door.

That same RDF is what leads people to make statements like the previous... where they feel that a Mac is somehow not "normal" or otherwise odd when compared to another machine.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's so abnormal about an Apple notebook? It is just a computer. It does the same things any other notebook can do. There is no reason to not equate it to any other notebook from any other manufacturer. It's a different OS... big deal.

I agree. The RDF seems especially high here lately. This isn't AmWay or some sort of wacky cult where you get bonus points for pushing others to "join up" and get an Apple computer. You don't have to "convert" or "convince" your mother, brother, sister, grandma, neighbor, coworker, pastor, classmate, stranger you met at the laundromat, random guy in line at the coffee bar, stray dog walking down the street....etc. into buying an Apple computer. Use them if you like them and leave it at that. Leave your bias at the door.

That same RDF is what leads people to make statements like the previous... where they feel that a Mac is somehow not "normal" or otherwise odd when compared to another machine.

Wowza, glad you got that off your chest ey?

I want a mac so badly tbh because i'm sick of windows and i large part of it is because i want ilife. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Prime example why I just closed both my eBay and PayPal accounts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I assume you the seller didn't have decent feedback which is why they didn't give you a full refund because there was no guarantee.
You're young. It stinks I know, but this is how a lot of people are these days.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume you the seller didn't have decent feedback which is why they didn't give you a full refund because there was no guarantee.
You're young. It stinks I know, but this is how a lot of people are these days.

Yeh your right. Althought the dude did have 100% feedback we only got £150 back.

Only thing i can afford now is a G3 ibook with 126mb of ram...oh dear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh your right. Althought the dude did have 100% feedback we only got £150 back.

Only thing i can afford now is a G3 ibook with 126mb of ram...oh dear.

He didn't have enough feedback then?

I only have 99% feedback on eBay and buyers get the $2000 limit if they via PayPal. I will only buy from members when I know I will get a full refund from PayPal if the deal goes sour.

A G3 iBook costs that much? There needs to be an in between here. How does that model cost 150 and a first gen MacBook cost 400? That's like $300 here and I think I could pick up a early G4 for that amount. I could certainly pickup a 800MHz or 900MHz G3 for that amount. That's ridiculous, even for Mac pricing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
That's actually not too bad. It's not the most modern machine in the world, but it's definitely not a bad machine, and, if I converted £ to $ right (£1 being worth about $15,000,000 US dollars ;) ) that's somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 US, which for that computer is quite good.

A good deal, indeed. It'll do pretty much everything you want it to do.

In america things are a lot cheaper, were hit with taxes for some reason

180 sterling is about $350

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GOOD NEWS GUYS.

Just got myself a good deal (i think)

I got a Ibook G4 with the following specs for £182:
800Mhz
384 mb ram
30 GB HD
Airport Installed
Running tiger

+ with microsoft powerpoint,excel etc. (no ilife though but i will be buying a past version)

So is that good or not? :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
GOOD NEWS GUYS.

Just got myself a good deal (i think)

I got a Ibook G4 with the following specs for £182:
800Mhz
384 mb ram
30 GB HD
Airport Installed
Running tiger

+ with microsoft powerpoint,excel etc. (no ilife though but i will be buying a past version)

So is that good or not? :S

Make sure you also get the OS X install disc that came with the machine. Also, I hope you have some kind of external storage... OS X alone will eat up a decent chunk of that hard drive space, and then there are the other programs to contend with as well.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you also get the OS X install disc that came with the machine. Also, I hope you have some kind of external storage... OS X alone will eat up a decent chunk of that hard drive space, and then there are the other programs to contend with as well.

I'll be buying a External HD =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
That's great news, hope all goes well for you this time

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little high in my opinion but not bad.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Also see if you can get some more RAM... Tiger really needs at least 512MB to run well, in my opinion.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also see if you can get some more RAM... Tiger really needs at least 512MB to run well, in my opinion.

Ok.

Well ill need to save up for a bit but it's on my list =] O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.