Function Key

Reaction score
hey all,

the ctrl (windows) = function key?

so ctrl C = func C?

And if I attach a non mac keyboard can I still take advantage of the expose, dashboard etc F keys?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
hey all,

so ctrl C = func C?

And if I attach a non mac keyboard can I still take advantage of the expose, dashboard etc F keys?

thanks

Now, the command key is closer to what the ctrl key does in Windows. As for using a non-Apple keyboard, Expose by default (without the hardware functioned keys) is mapped to F9 for all windows view, F10 for one-application windows view, F11 for Show Desktop, and F12 for Dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
so ctrl C = func C?

I'm using a Win k/board (prefer it to the Apple ones). Ctrl_L-click is like the R-click with a Win mouse, gives you menu options. Win mouse R-click in OS X provides options, be it in an application or in Finder (desktop).

Ctrl-C in Win is Copy, Ctrl-C in OS X does nothing. The main modifier key in OS X using a Win k/bd is the wavy windows key. It's the equivalent of the Command key on an Apple k/bd. Examples: Copy is Win-C, paste is Win-V, Open is Win-O, Close is Win-W, Print is Win-P, Quit is Win-Q.

Alt (Win) = Option (Mac)

You certainly can. For example, F12 also acts to open the tray drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.