Looking for some help and advice on a MacBook

Reaction score
I am new to these forums and i am currently looking into buying a macbook and was just wanting to ask a few questions.
The macbook i was looking at is the 2.4ghz model with 2gb of RAM and 160gb hard drive (£829rrp in UK).
After speaking to a couple of people who told me i should save up more money and go for the Macbook Pro i was wondering what peoples thoughts were.
I would mostly be using for phot editing in photoshop and video editing in either ivideo or final cut as well as maybe some music recording. Will the Macbook i am looking at be suitable for this job? I dont want to buy one then regret it afterwards but i really can't afford a Macbook pro which are nearly £500 more.
Thanking you in advance for your help :)

Also i failed to mention that i have never used a mac before but will be purchasing a notebook be it mac or pc. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz 250GB/G4 iPod 20GB/iPod Touch 32GB/iPod Shuffle 1GB
Welcome to the forums! Alright well first off I think that the MacBook Pro would be better suited to you and your needs. If you are going to be doing a lot of photo and video editing you will really be able to appreciate the better graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor with dual-link DVI support; 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz configuration; 512MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz configurations) and the larger screen. I know that might be a financial stretch but it will be well worth it with all of the windows crap you WON'T have to put up with! Now, all of that is not to take away from the standard MacBook, it is a great machine by any standards. But the Pro will afford you a much higher quality experience if photo and video editing is your thing. And another thing, don't let the fact that you have never worked with Mac get into your head. I am a recent switcher and the OS is very intuitive and easy to learn, as you would expect from Apple. One last thing to take into consideration, whether you opt for the Pro or the standard vs. a PC notebook is that you will be taken care of AFTER your purchase with Apple. Compared to Microsoft tech support (study up on your indian!)

Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply.....
I suppose the best idea would be to have an hour with the personnal shopper guy in my local apple store.
I'm just not sure i can talk my girlfriend into the macbook pro at the extra cost... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
bmxxx brings up some really good points that will help you. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro to replace my fairly new MacBook and have been writing about it on my blog. There may be some information in there that will help you make a decision.

Having had both the machines running side by side for a bit the biggest difference by far is the screen real estate. The MacBook's smaller screen is fine mind you, though when you start using the 15" version on the MBP you really appreciate that you have 26% more pixels to work with.

You really can't go wrong with either machine though - both are excellent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.