How well does iPod Touch maintain value?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
Ok, ill try to make this brief,

My 2nd Gen iPod HD just went out on me. I want to get an iPhone, but my current phone contract doesnt expire until November, so i was going to get an iPhone on July 11, and wait to activate it until Nov. But now ive been hearing rumors that you will have to immediately activate the new iPhones (which ruins my plan of getting an iphone now and activating it when my current contract is up)

So, instead, I'm looking at getting a 16G iPod Touch ($399), to get me by for now.

My question is this: If i get a iPod Touch now, (considering i take exceptional care of it, as i do with all my Apple Hardware), how much could i expect to get for it in Nov. when i switch to the iPhone? Also, are there any rumors of a new iPod Touch coming out between now and then, that would significantly reduce the value of the current version?

Sorry, not so breif i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4GHz // iBook G4 12" - 1.33GHz // iPhone 3GS - 16GB
As with most iPods, there's enough of a demand for them out there that if people want one (even used but in good shape), I'm sure you will have no problem finding a buyer at a decent price. However, the issue that would worry me is a possible update. The iPod touches are currently on the student deal (Buy a Mac and Get a free iPod). That usually hints that they are clearing out stock with promotions for an update, probably in September when they usually do a major iPod update. So I'm assuming that by November, when you want to get rid of yours, it will not be the most current generation of iPod.

The upside is the iPods current ability to retain value. I'm seeing last gen 30GB iPods on eBay going for $160ish when a person could easily buy a current 80GB iPod classic for $250.

I would just weight these things out, along with how much money youa re willing to sacrifice before you make the purchase.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" - 2.4GHz // iBook G4 12" - 1.33GHz // iPhone 3GS - 16GB
To follow up on my last point, I usually try to check out http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ before I make an significant Apple purchases.

Their current recommendation for the iPod touch is:

Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your reply, very helpful. Maybe ill go with something cheap instead then like a nano.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw, thank you for the website...that will be my first stop before any of my future apple purchases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.