GB amount not matching....

Reaction score
I was backing up some library files for my virtual instrument plug-ins, everything went smoothly, but when I checked the GB amount next to the original it wasn't exact, but never got a error message that everything did not save on the back-up drive. I even checked the contents of the folder with the original, and everything seem to be in place, but again the GB amount did not match exactly. Just wondering why?

Thx.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hidden files or folders did not get copied. Don't worry about it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was backing up some library files for my virtual instrument plug-ins, everything went smoothly, but when I checked the GB amount next to the original it wasn't exact, but never got a error message that everything did not save on the back-up drive. I even checked the contents of the folder with the original, and everything seem to be in place, but again the GB amount did not match exactly. Just wondering why?

Depending on how you copied the files, you may have missed some hidden files/folders. Whether or not you should "worry" about it though is another issue.

If you are copying the entire contents of a folder, including subfolders, then you should copy the folder directly from one drive to the other. Don't copy the subcontents to a new folder... you'll miss anything hidden if you can't directly select them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
could also be due to differences in block size between the 3 drives?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.