g4 ibook startup probs

N

noodle

hello i hope someone can help i have a 12inch g4ibook and although it seems to function ok when it is started i have been having problems making it start. Normally what is happening is that when i press the power switch nothing will happen it wont come on, no sounds or any signs of working, anyway i have found that if i unplug the power supply then remove the battery and then replace and plug in the power supply again then it does work but often the time and date have been reset to 1970etc, this is most frustrating can anyone tell me what is wrong and wether theyres anything i can do to fix it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I had that happen to me once or twice a while back, a certain hardware reset combination did it for me...

It was either hold apple and p on startup, or apple, shift and something....

Can't remember it exactly, hold on a sec (scribbled it on some paper here somewhere...)

Nope paper has been trashed... but I have this handy link for you instead which is apple's support document on exactly the kind of problem you have been having...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

That fixed it for me!

P.S. I don't think that document lists the iBook G4 specifically, but just follow the instructions for the latest Powerbook models right at the bottom of the page...

"PowerBook G4 (12-inch), PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI), PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz)

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.

Wait 5 seconds.

Press the Power button to restart the computer."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.