Startup Problems After Pro Tools Installation

Reaction score
Hi There,

I have a Macbook Pro and have just installed Pro Tools 7.3 and the 7.4.2 Mac update. As soon as the update finished, it prompted for a restart. Upon the restart, an opaque gray screen appeared with a message that stated 'You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.' I did this, and the same thing has happened each time. I can never get past the initial apple screen during startup. This has never happened prior to my installation and update of Pro Tools 7.4.2.

Any ideas? I'm dying to start working with Pro Tools/Continue using my brand new MacBook Pro.

Thanks!

-Devin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Corrupted or incompatible Startup or Login Items can cause a variety of problems, including:
  • Kernel panics
  • Finder™ crashes on startup or login, either once or repeatedly.
  • Slow startup or login.
  • Failed startup or login
Start up in Safe Mode. If Safe Boot resolves the issue, this implies a Startup Item or Login Item is the cause.

Check in System Preferences>Accounts>Login / Startup items
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8956.html

OP
D
Reaction score
That was extremely helpful, thank you. Safemode solved the problem, but I'll still have been receiving it from time to time during normal operation. I think I may just reinstall anyway so I can have a fresh start with pro tools.

Thanks again for the help!

-Devin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.