• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

8 out of 10 cats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Went to London recently and I caught an episode of a comedy panel game, 8 Out Of 10 Cats, and I find it hilarious! Does anyone else watches this show too? I've never knew brit humor was so funny, and since it doesn't air over here(few brit shows do, mainly american), I've been resorted to catching old episodes on Youtube. If you haven't watched it, you should, it's really good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i never heard of it. what is the plot of the series?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
British TV shows are hilarious, and it makes me sad that they don't show more on American TV. Some of my favorites are The Mighty Boosh, Spaced, and The IT crowd. As for individual comedians, Noel Fielding, Simon Amstell, and Russell Brand are my three favorites at the moment.

I've never heard of 8 out of 10 cats, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I just watched a few 4 minute clips on youtube... awesome show, really is some good humor, thanks for informing me of its existence!

OP
calenerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
i never heard of it. what is the plot of the series?
There's no plot. Its sort of like a panel game where they try to guess the correct answer for various opinion polls conducted. You should definitely check it out on Youtube, its really good.

I just watched a few 4 minute clips on youtube... awesome show, really is some good humor, thanks for informing me of its existence!

Glad to hear that, watching those clips after a tough day really do make my day. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
Hey. Brit here,

8 out of 10 cats is one of the best ones i've seen, if you like it, i would recommend 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks' with simon amstell hosting. Classic.

The basis of 8 out of 10 cats, is questions from surveys and a bunch of celebs and comedians try to answer, usually funny answers.

got to check it and never mind the buzzcocks.

Hotdog

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Glad you liked it, Jimmy Carr is good (the host)

There is a lot of very good, if out great Comedy on British TV - not just the BBC - 9 out of 10 is on Channel 4 (commercial station)

It is probably largely because of the BBC, being a public broardcaster it can take more risks with new acts than a commercial station. That quality also forces the commercial British stations to offer quality comedy.

Of course, being British, we constantly complain about the quality of our TV (until we go abroad), and we also see a lot of American TV, but usually only the best ones make it over here so we imagine that American TV is more packed with quality progs than it actually is

My current favourite UK comedy shows are: Peep Show, the IT Crowd, the Mighty Boosh, the League of Gentlemen and The Mitchell and Webb look

There is an absolute goldmine of comedy out there, including a lot of Panel games like 9 out of ten cats.

QI - Stephen Fry presents a very intellectual game designed to route out the panellist's misconceptions of various concepts. Few points are given, mostly taken away, so that the winner is the one with the least negative score. In one episode a member of the audience shouted the right answer, so that the audience won that show.

Have I got news for you - panelists discuss and joke about the weeks news, the points system is very erratic, but no matter what happens, the regular, Paul Merton loses. One host (they have guest hosts) didn't understand the game and tried to get the players to give direct answers - not understanding that the spirit of the game is not to give the right answer, but to ramble about and hopefully be funny

Never Mind the Buzzcocks - a music knowledge game. The points system is erratic again and points are awarded on the complete whim of the host. Nobody really cares who wins

Mornington Crescent - Is a panel game on Radio 4. Mornington Crescent is a station on the London metro. The game is about moving across the London metro network and the first one to get to Mornington Crescent wins. This one had me baffled for years, since the rules are never explained, but the panellists often debate a particular cunning strategy. It turns out that there are no rules, the game is not real and the panelist make the whole thing up as they go along. Anybody who writes in and asks for the rules are given the details of a book, but told it is out of print

There are others, but the object of many UK panel games is not to win, in fact - anybody taking the game too seriously is usually mocked

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
8 Out Of 10 Cats is just AWESOME!

And if you like Jimmy Carr have a look at a show called Distraction...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Never Mind the Buzzcocks, QI and Have I Got News For You are the king of panel games. Mock The Week and 8 Out of 10 Cats is OK; but I don't think The Mighty Boosh, Noel Fielding, Russell Brand and The IT Crowd should be used to judge British TV (not a fan).

Spaced is probably the best sitcom ever made in any country. As for best British TV show, overall, I'd have to give it to Teachers. Top Gear is a close second. Check out Friday Night with Johnathan Ross if you want to see how the British do chat shows; I cringe watching Leno & Letterman (Ferguson is a funny guy though, I wish we got that show over here).

EDIT: Almost forgot Life on Mars for best comedy/drama

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.