Setting up new Mac Pro

Reaction score
I just got a new mac pro (had a pre-intel iMac) and want to set it up correctly as much as able.

In addition to work needs, I do alot of digital photography (but dont make a living doing it) nevertheless the data is still important to me. Given that, and based on everything I've read from numerous posts and sites, I'm completely confused as to whether I should:

Set up a RAID with a good backup plan, or not worry about that and just have a good backup strategy alone?

Other questions:
-keep the stock drive as the boot drive only?
-set up the "initial" account as an Admin and not do anything to it (vs. just making any separate account an Admin)
-need windows - and have purchased Fusion, is best to put that on a partition on the boot drive (wont be intensive windows use, just to log into servers for work) I do want to be able to use the two os's at the same time.

any other advice on setting the new machine up properly from the start is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Put it on your floor, plug the power cord into the back and the other end into the wall. Attach all of your peripherals and you're set.
There is not one ideal way to set it up. It all depends on if you're looking for speed or dependability and how much you have to spend.
What do you plan on doing? Is there something you're looking to achieve?

OP
J
Reaction score
I do know how easy it is to set up, I'm more interested in what will provide dependability over speed. With how cheap hard drives are now, I was just wondering if I should go that route (a raid set up) or would that be overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I would just get an external hd and use time machine, unless you really want raid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like RAID just because the copy is done instantly.

Buy a pair of matching drives, newegg has a great deal on the new 11 drives. It's a 750GB, one of the fastest, for $130 each. Drop them in and pair them.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks so much - just to make sure Im clear (cause Im sure Im not):

Get a pair of extra drives and set them up in a Raid1 (not 0) Array - or just add a second drive to mirror the original 320GB drive it came with?

Either way, I could (or should) then back these mirrored drives up to an external drive using Time Machine, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
The Mac Pro has 4 drive bays, so I'd just save a little money and put a 4th internal drive in and use that as a Time Machine drive. It saves space, and internal OEM drives are cheaper than external ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tossed the stock drive that the Pro shipped with. I haven't heard anything good about it.
It's up to you. If 320GB is enough space you, buy a second 320GB drive and start over. (I am 99% positive you will need to reinstall OSX to set it up RAID 1.)
Or, if you need more space, get matching HD's and start over.

RAID1 will will make a mirror copy of the other HD so Time Machine isn't needed unless you think both HD's will go down at the exact same time.

OP
J
Reaction score
The Mac Pro has 4 drive bays, so I'd just save a little money and put a 4th internal drive in and use that as a Time Machine drive. It saves space, and internal OEM drives are cheaper than external ones.

Will Time Machine back up to an internal drive....? I was under the impression external only...

OP
J
Reaction score
I tossed the stock drive that the Pro shipped with. I haven't heard anything good about it.
It's up to you. If 320GB is enough space you, buy a second 320GB drive and start over. (I am 99% positive you will need to reinstall OSX to set it up RAID 1.)
Or, if you need more space, get matching HD's and start over.

RAID1 will will make a mirror copy of the other HD so Time Machine isn't needed unless you think both HD's will go down at the exact same time.

Got it - thanks so much, thats why I wanted to know before I got too far into things (reinstalling OSX).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will backup to an internal drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.