RAM Query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel (Aluminium) iMac - 2.0 Ghz
Hi There,

This might sound like a completely dumb question, but does all the RAM in my system have to be equal figures? I have 1GB installed, but I'm thinking of getting a 2GB upgrade for my empty slot. Bringing it up to 3GB, but I have never seen a system with 3GB, so is this okay? Will it pose any problems at all?

Apologies if this is a completely dumb questions but it'd be good to have it cleared up

Thanks in advance. Owen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
the normal thought on this is that paired memory is better due to the slight speed increase you get by having them equal (not worth going into detail) however if you have a 1GB and a 2GB stick you will be fine. even if they are not paired it is a memory upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
ensure first that your model will take 3gb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.