a question on MacBook RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram 250 GB hardrive (Black)
my macbook has the stock 2gb ram installed. inotice tough that on normal use, i usually only have 35 mb free memory (according to activity monitor). Should i bump it up to 4 gb? will i see any significant speed boost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
if you have 35 mb free...that's not "normal" use!
if it is..then something is wrong...what apps are you running normally?

OP
pandaboy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram 250 GB hardrive (Black)
i usually have yahoo messenger, firefox, transmission, itunes, textedit and vlc on at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Perhaps if you could give us a list of the most memory intensive programs from your Mac's Activity Monitor, we could see if there's some kind of issue. I agree with rohan. 35MB remaining is not normal use, and those programs you listed should not be using up that much RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You only need more ram if you have low amounts of both free ram and inactive ram. Additionally another Indicator that you may need more ram is the amount of pageouts you have in comparison to pagins…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.