My iTunes has an evil spirit

Reaction score
Hi all,
The other day something happened that seemed to "corrupt" iTunes on my MB, if such a thing were possible. I restarted, deleted iTunes, reinstalled the latest, but every time I try to open it up, it locks (meaning it throws the rainbow-wheel busy signal and won't unlock). I temporarily downloaded Songbird to use, but I honestly can't stand it. It's slow and clunky and refuses to import songs in the right order (plus several other complaints I won't get into here).

What do I need to do to restore iTunes? I can see a big question mark on the CD part of the icon in my dock (where there wasn't one before), does that mean a certain file is missing that iTunes needs in order to work? Thanks guys.

Erik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, 2GHZ, Core2Duo
oh...doing a fresh install of your operating system, your files must be corrupt

OP
N
Reaction score
Nuts, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Well, if that's the only option, I'll have to take it. Appreciate the help, madchild.

P.S. Only a couple more days till TopGear! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Hi all,
The other day something happened that seemed to "corrupt" iTunes on my MB, if such a thing were possible. I restarted, deleted iTunes, reinstalled the latest, but every time I try to open it up, it locks (meaning it throws the rainbow-wheel busy signal and won't unlock). I temporarily downloaded Songbird to use, but I honestly can't stand it. It's slow and clunky and refuses to import songs in the right order (plus several other complaints I won't get into here).

What do I need to do to restore iTunes? I can see a big question mark on the CD part of the icon in my dock (where there wasn't one before), does that mean a certain file is missing that iTunes needs in order to work? Thanks guys.Erik
A "?" symbol means the Dock can no longer locate the application associated with the icon in the dock. Drag the icon with the question mark out of the dock and release it on the desktop to eliminate the icon. Locate iTunes and then drag it and drop it on the Dock. It will now appear as a normal icon and clicking on it will launch the application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
Soulwar is right. When you uninstall iTunes, remember to get rid of the dock icon for it. Then when you reinstall it, re-add it to the dock afterwards and it should work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.