• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Analog to Digital question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Could I theoretically buy a Windows only Pinnacle/Dazzle (or other brand) video converter and use it on my imac? I plan on doing the editing stuff on iMovie, so I don't really need the editing software that comes with it. I just need the converter as a pass thru to dump on my hard drive. Will that work or am I missing something? When it does transfer, what file is it saved as, .mov, .mpg?
It seems like the Dazzle DV Bridge (mac compatible) is no longer made (unless I try my luck on ebay), so that is why I ask this.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If the box outputs via firewire, then in theory yes it will work. The import would likely create a .dv file just like the data was streamed from a camera.

If the box has only a USB connection, then it would need special software for sure.

The current Pinnacle offerings seem questionable for your purpose.

Now lets see if anyone has any actual experience.

You could buy something as simple as an Elgato TV tuner device or something more sophisticated such as a Canopus. I linked to macsales just so you could see some pricing numbers.

If you have a Mini DV Camera with pass through mode, then use that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz/2g/200hdd
Avoid a analog to digital box that outputs usb 2.0 like the plague!! They can't handle a longer live stream!

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a VHS-C camcorder, so I require the converter box. I've seen Canopus and they're too pricey for me. I'm not too sure about the Elgato. I'll take your advice about the USB 2.0 usage. I'll try to stick to firewire.

It does sound fairly plausible to do this, since Macs are PC friendly. I recently bought a clearanced 160GB external HD (usb 2.0) real cheap that only listed Windows for system requirements, and it works just fine on my G4 iMac. That's why I'm hoping this task will work, since all I want to do is capture the video and do the editing in iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have used the Elgato EyeTV which is USB 2. It worked fine for the limited VHS-C tapes I captured.

If you look on e-bay and craigslist list you might find a firewire device, but given a limited budget you are probably better off with some USB 2 device known to work with the Mac.

I see you have OS X 10.3.9, so be careful that what every buy does support that older version.

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used the Elgato EyeTV which is USB 2. It worked fine for the limited VHS-C tapes I captured.

If you look on e-bay and craigslist list you might find a firewire device, but given a limited budget you are probably better off with some USB 2 device known to work with the Mac.

I see you have OS X 10.3.9, so be careful that what every buy does support that older version.

Hmmmm... Bear says to avoid USB 2, you say yours worked fine. Can you list the exact product you have so I can look it up? I'll file it for consideration. I found a Dazzle DV Bridge on ebay that just started, so I'm watching it for now. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Elgato EyeTV Hybrid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I have the EveTV 250 by elgato its UBS 2.0 and it works fine. Great actually. I got it at the apple store it was 199. It has a video processor in it unlike the EyeTV hybrid so its easier on your machine processor. I use mine like a tivo and its great. its the little box in the front.
int_250plus_gallery_03b.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.