Just Got My MBP, Few Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hey everyone, I searched around on the forums for some of the answers to my questions before I made my own thread, but I could never find exactly the answers to my problems, so here we go:

1. I cannot get Mail to work. I have a Yahoo account, tell Mail that, tell them my username and password and then it says that Mail cannot connect with the POP servers from Yahoo. I know that a Gmail account works better, but is there an easy way to switch other than just creating a whole new e-mail? That seems like it would be such a pain because everyone knows me on the Yahoo account.

2. I am in a somewhat dim/lit room and every time I have to reach to the top right of the keyboard (like when I hit delete) the screen dims for just a split second and then goes back to the regular brightness. Is there anyway to make it less sensitive so that it doesn't go off?

3. The most important one to me. I have around 18 gigs of music that are on my PC. What is the best way to get that music from that computer to this one? I heard that buying an external hard drive would work best, but I don't really feel like dropping $100 only to use it for about an hour. I thought that this would be a pretty common problem, but I did some searches and really could not find anything that was similar to my situation, surprisingly.

4. Is there anything else that you would like to recommend to me at this time? Because I was pretty familiar with Windows and how stuff works, but this is just a whole 'nother game and I feel lost. I love the computer so far though and I'm sure that once I get used to how things work on here, I will love it even more.

Also, when I opened iTunes, it said that an update was available and when it checked for other updates, it found 9 things, so I am installing those now. How do I check for these updates in the future?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey everyone, I searched around on the forums for some of the answers to my questions before I made my own thread, but I could never find exactly the answers to my problems, so here we go:

1. I cannot get Mail to work. I have a Yahoo account, tell Mail that, tell them my username and password and then it says that Mail cannot connect with the POP servers from Yahoo. I know that a Gmail account works better, but is there an easy way to switch other than just creating a whole new e-mail? That seems like it would be such a pain because everyone knows me on the Yahoo account.

I take it you're using a Yahoo Mail Plus account? If so, be aware that their server names changed just recently: plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com respectively.

2. I am in a somewhat dim/lit room and every time I have to reach to the top right of the keyboard (like when I hit delete) the screen dims for just a split second and then goes back to the regular brightness. Is there anyway to make it less sensitive so that it doesn't go off?

That's the auto-dimming function. It can be turned off in System Preferences => Displays => Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

3. The most important one to me. I have around 18 gigs of music that are on my PC. What is the best way to get that music from that computer to this one? I heard that buying an external hard drive would work best, but I don't really feel like dropping $100 only to use it for about an hour. I thought that this would be a pretty common problem, but I did some searches and really could not find anything that was similar to my situation, surprisingly.

If they're both on the same network, it should be a pretty trivial matter to transfer via a network connection. Turn your firewall off on your PC and dump any files you need to transfer into the Shared Folders. Assuming you have Shared Folders enabled, you should then see your PC appear in the finder and be able to connect to it.

4. Is there anything else that you would like to recommend to me at this time? Because I was pretty familiar with Windows and how stuff works, but this is just a whole 'nother game and I feel lost. I love the computer so far though and I'm sure that once I get used to how things work on here, I will love it even more.

David Pogue's OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual. It's a great read and reference. Also, I highly recommend a subscription to Macworld or MacLife.

Also, when I opened iTunes, it said that an update was available and when it checked for other updates, it found 9 things, so I am installing those now. How do I check for these updates in the future?

Apple menu => Software Updates. Although it will do this automatically, periodically.

OP
UFGator
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
No, I am using just the free Yahoo e-mail.

All of my music is on an iPod too. Is there anyway that I could connect the iPod to my Mac and not have it cleared, but rather have it put the music from the iPod onto my computer?

OP
UFGator
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Also, when I import a CD into iTunes, it adds the songs to my smart playlist of recently added items in reverse order because it adds the first song on the CD first and then goes ahead and puts that song onto that smart playlist. Is there anyway to change that so that when the CD gets placed onto that smart playlist, it gets placed on the list in the same way that it appears on the CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black
I would recommend you spend the $100 get a external drive, then once you are done with the transfer, you can use that drive as a Time Machine backup drive!

I have owned my MBP for 2 weeks, and Time Machine has already saved me from a miss deleted file!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, I am using just the free Yahoo e-mail.

Unless something changed, Yahoo does not allow POP access for free. You have to upgrade to Plus in order to get access from a standard email program.

All of my music is on an iPod too. Is there anyway that I could connect the iPod to my Mac and not have it cleared, but rather have it put the music from the iPod onto my computer?

Yep - check out Anapod CopyGear.

OP
UFGator
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Unless something changed, Yahoo does not allow POP access for free. You have to upgrade to Plus in order to get access from a standard email program.

Alright, thanks for the info. That really sucks, haha.

Yep - check out Anapod CopyGear.

Is the free trial version going to be enough to copy all my songs or would I have to purchase the real one in order to actually make transfers. Anybody have some experience with this product before?

OP
UFGator
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I would recommend you spend the $100 get a external drive, then once you are done with the transfer, you can use that drive as a Time Machine backup drive!

I have owned my MBP for 2 weeks, and Time Machine has already saved me from a miss deleted file!

And I will for sure look into this option as well. I didn't even know that I could use a different external drive other than Time Machine for backup use. I am going to try and extinguish my other options before dropping more cash.

Reaction score
I will be getting an MBP myself pretty soon and have done a fair amount of research into how the machine works. I too want to transfer music from my PC or iPod to the MBP. From what I've read, using an external hard drive is the easiest and one of the faster ways.

However, there is also a very neat program that everyone suggests called SenuTI or something like that. It transfers all songs from your iPod to your Mac. It's linked on one of the stickies on this board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Get the program "Senuti". It's free, and walks you through how to get your music off your ipod without clearing it off...just make sure to follow the instructions properly!

And the reason the screen dims is because of the auto dim option which is nice because if you go into a dark room it will automatically adjust the backlight on the keyboard and the screen brightness. There are sensors in the speakers area so when you go over them it adjusts...if it isnt a huge deal leave them, if not, go and turn them off in system prefrences, but then they wont auto adjust when you go into a dark room

OP
UFGator
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Get the program "Senuti". It's free, and walks you through how to get your music off your ipod without clearing it off...just make sure to follow the instructions properly!

And the reason the screen dims is because of the auto dim option which is nice because if you go into a dark room it will automatically adjust the backlight on the keyboard and the screen brightness. There are sensors in the speakers area so when you go over them it adjusts...if it isnt a huge deal leave them, if not, go and turn them off in system prefrences, but then they wont auto adjust when you go into a dark room
Is this program alright to use even from a PC iPod to a Mac? I found some programs online, but they stated that it was from a Mac iPod to a Mac. Not sure how important this actually is.

Also, is it alright to travel with the computer in sleep mode? I don't want to cause any damage to the hard drive while carrying it and transporting it around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.