Trouble booting from CD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a Power Mac G4 (AGP, 500 mhz, 512 mb RAM) and I'm having trouble booting from a CD to upgrade to 10.3.

I tried holding the C key, and I tried holding the option key and selecting the cd as my startup disk, and regardless of what I do, I end up with that prohibatory sign and the wheel spins and spins and spins and spins and does nothing. I'm fairly certain it is not the specific CD, as I even tried booting from a 10.2 installation disk for kicks and I get the same result.

I have done the following but to no avail:
1) reset the PRAM
2) updated the firmware
3) verified and repaired disk permissions

I'm pretty new to these new operating systems, so any tips would be great.

Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
After resetting the nvram, I have been able to boot from my 10.2 disk, leading me to believe that my 10.3 disk is corrupt.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Glad to help. If you are in the STates give Apple a ring about changing corrupt disc. They used to do it for about $10.00, but really I think Tiger would be the go on your Gigabit Ethernet 500MHz machine, and kick RAM up to 1GB for better performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.