can't get new router to work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
hi all i'm new here, i own a ibook G4, and am gradually learning the brilliant mac experience. i have a broadband connection and am now trying to connect a new router through a ethernet cable so my son can have his xbox live working wirelessly but it seems no matter wot i do i cannot connect to the internet with the router it says authentication has failed, i am using the same access user name and password as my other usb connection so it should work. it's driving me mad cos my son is desperate to get the xbox live going. pls pls help, i'm no pc mac wiz so be very specific if u have any ideas cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
it is most likely the security settings on the router and the inability for the mac to connect to that particular security setting. i do not know what you are using so it is a little hard to know what to tell you.

first plug in the ethernet and make sure you have the latest apple updates and that may solve your problem right there.

you may be using WPA and i believe there was an update for the older G4 airport cards that is needed to connect to that.

if that doesnt work then :

1. are you running on wireless B, G , or N?
2. what security are you running? WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, etc...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What type of internet are you using? DSL? Cable? What router is this? How do you have it all connected up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
it's a netgear dg834pn, i have a ethernet cable connected to it and it's connected to the adsl filter to my phone line and it recognises that theres a line but will not authenticate it just says failed. i hace called the broadband provider and they r not very helpful i don't think they now there stuff really, all the correct lights r on except the net connection light, i know it's not the router as i have already changed it thinking that there may be a fault with it, i'm just so confused and frustrated it's driving me bonkers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
it's a netgear dg834pn, i have a ethernet cable connected to it and it's connected to the adsl filter to my phone line and it recognises that theres a line but will not authenticate it just says failed. i hace called the broadband provider and they r not very helpful i don't think they now there stuff really, all the correct lights r on except the net connection light, i know it's not the router as i have already changed it thinking that there may be a fault with it, i'm just so confused and frustrated it's driving me bonkers

Hi:

First thing to do is break out the instructions for the Netgear. Look for the option to "reset" the router. Normally the reset is a small hole that can be accessed by extending a paper clip, inserting it, holding it down for about 10 seconds. After which, remove power from the Netgear for about 30 seconds or more. Plug it back in. The Netgear will be reset to factory settings.

Now you should be able to access the Netgear from your browser (Safari) and log into its firmware menu. Be sure to read the instruction manual. Unfortunately, Netgear does not give support for Mac systems - they will only help you out if you have Windows. And, most ISPs are not up to date on Mac computers having for the most part received their training on Windows systems.

Connect your DSL modem to the Netgear (per your ISP instructions) and then by CAT-5 cable from the router to your Mac. Once you get your machine working OK with the router, you can get back into it and turn on the wireless option. Afterward, once wireless is working OK, you will no longer need to attach the CAT-5 cable.

It's recommended that you use security (WPA, WEP, etc) which means that whatever password or hex code you enter into the router, you will have to do likewise for your Mac and the X-Box. It all sounds complicated but it's not really. If you feel you don't understand how to set everything up, I suggest you ask a friend or someone who is knowledgeable to assist.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
Hi:

First thing to do is break out the instructions for the Netgear. Look for the option to "reset" the router. Normally the reset is a small hole that can be accessed by extending a paper clip, inserting it, holding it down for about 10 seconds. After which, remove power from the Netgear for about 30 seconds or more. Plug it back in. The Netgear will be reset to factory settings.

Now you should be able to access the Netgear from your browser (Safari) and log into its firmware menu. Be sure to read the instruction manual. Unfortunately, Netgear does not give support for Mac systems - they will only help you out if you have Windows. And, most ISPs are not up to date on Mac computers having for the most part received their training on Windows systems.

Connect your DSL modem to the Netgear (per your ISP instructions) and then by CAT-5 cable from the router to your Mac. Once you get your machine working OK with the router, you can get back into it and turn on the wireless option. Afterward, once wireless is working OK, you will no longer need to attach the CAT-5 cable.

It's recommended that you use security (WPA, WEP, etc) which means that whatever password or hex code you enter into the router, you will have to do likewise for your Mac and the X-Box. It all sounds complicated but it's not really. If you feel you don't understand how to set everything up, I suggest you ask a friend or someone who is knowledgeable to assist.

Regards.

thanx for ur help, i really appreciate it. as i said i'm not very good wiv computers and don't really undersatand all the lingo, well i'm getting better :D but i need to be treated as a complete novice so sorry, im a builder not an office boy :D by cat-5 u mean ethernet cable yeah, and i dont understand the security bit :Grimmace: many thanx

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
oh and i have done the reset thing too ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

That Netgear is a Modem and Router together. You have a line going to an ADSL filter? I hope the filter is not filtering the DSL out of the modem! Are you sure that is hooked up correctly? I have seen the filter plugged in the wrong way many times on Network service calls and that fixed it.

You said this was a new router? What did you have before? Was it connected exactly the same to the phone line? The ADSL filters are to filter out the DSL signal from Telephones and can not go in between the wall and the Modem unless they have 2 jacks, one for Telephone and one for DSL.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
the line that comes from the filter to the router, if i unplug that and plug it into the speedtouch 330 modem thingy it will connect to the net no problem, so there is no problem there with the filter, also the ethernet cable from my ibook to the netgear is working fine as i can turn the flashing lights on/off and get to the set up wizard, i'm sure it's a problem with the info i'm giving the router in terms of isp address, or username/password. but it seems strange that it connects with the sppedtouch. i'm so stuck with this it's my sons birthday today and i wanted to get this working for him:Shouting: my isp tells me the username and password i'm using is correct, i don't know wot to do next. i'm hoping u guys can sort it for me :) pls pls

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok with that info, who is your ISP? I will check their page and see if I can figure it out for you. I have a manual on the Netgear here. Let me know ASAP.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
many thanx, it's pipex homecall

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
am off to london in a minute so will check this thread later once again many thanx to u all, this is a good forum wish ide found it a long time ago :Cool:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found the info. Getting it all together and will post it later.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali
mate u r a legend, followed ur step by step guide and it worked brilliant uve made a 21 year old lad very happy thanx so much for ur help if i ever meet u (very unlikely):D i owe ya a beer ;D all the best. will be using this site alot as i'm a complete novice with pc's/macs. although ive had my days with windows ans am now a massive mac fan as they WORK ALL THE TIME and r more user freindly once again many thanx

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just happy you got it working. That to me is payback!

If you have any other problems or questions, just ask!

Enjoy your Mac!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook ali

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.