disabled return / enter key?

L

lolalights

Hey -- I have a g4 iBook. when i started using it yesterday - the enter / return key seems to be disabled somehow. it works if i use shift /enter - but, alone nothing happens when i press it. i've tried looking at the keyboard setup / country setting w/ no luck. any ideas? i haven't been able to find any other threads about this anywhere and was hoping someone here might know what i have done to my computer! thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What exactly are you trying to do with the enter key?

It doesn't work to open folders like on a windows machine... that's what irritated me for a while...

But if it never works (without shift key) , then it should be a settings problem...
Not sure exactly though...

OP
L

lolalights

enter

Well - for example if i am tying an email -normally i just hit the return key to skip to the next line or if a action is hightlighted in a pop up box i used to be able to hit enter instead of mousing over the option and clicking...
it works to do those things if i shift-enter so i know the key itself isn't broken.

i haven't changed any settings so i'm not sure how this started... and i haven't found any threads anywhere detailing the same problem...

thanks for your reply!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You haven't changed any of the options in:
system prefs->international->input menu

I know you said you'd looked, but ???

Make sure U.S. Keyboard input is selected and the script type is roman..

Also click on options and try unchecking both boxes...

Otherwise go to library-> preferences and see if there is a file relating to keyboard. Back it up and try deleting it (I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY THOUGH!)

And try repairing permissions...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.