slow tranfers

Reaction score
i set up a small network/ something to just access drives on my windows pc, xp, sp3.
running os x 10.5.3. When moving files from my mac to my pc, i get super slow speeds, about a MB/s check all my router settings and such. messed with them, with no luck. any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
is this a wireless transfer speed?

if so it is most likely your router. i had this same issue and i transfer a lot of files in my home and a lot of 4.7GB size. i solved it by getting a gigabit router.

if your router is a regular G router than it can only transfer at 54Mb/sec and that is rarely reached because it requires a perfect environment which you are never going to get in the real world. it is normally about half that speed.

if it is an enhanced G then it is possible that it could be rated at 125Mb/sec but again it will most likely run at around half that.

if you had a gigabit router it would be up to 300Mb/sec and again that is not real world.

i think you can see the difference here.

i found that even when i was transferring files to 2 hard wired machines i was not getting the speed i thought i would get until i upgraded to a gigabit router.

google around and check my info and you will find that it is your router that is slowing down your transfers.

also keep in mind that a Mb and a MB are 2 different things. Mb (with a lowercase ‘B’) is short hand for MegaBit. A MB (with an uppercase ‘B’) is short hand for MegaByte. 1 Byte is the same as 8 bits meaning that 1MB is 8Mb. you will find that most devices and internet providers always use the Mb to make their speeds seem faster because the number is bigger ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
is this a wireless transfer speed?

if so it is most likely your router. i had this same issue and i transfer a lot of files in my home and a lot of 4.7GB size. i solved it by getting a gigabit router.

if your router is a regular G router than it can only transfer at 54Mb/sec and that is rarely reached because it requires a perfect environment which you are never going to get in the real world. it is normally about half that speed.

if it is an enhanced G then it is possible that it could be rated at 125Mb/sec but again it will most likely run at around half that.

if you had a gigabit router it would be up to 300Mb/sec and again that is not real world.

i think you can see the difference here.

i found that even when i was transferring files to 2 hard wired machines i was not getting the speed i thought i would get until i upgraded to a gigabit router.

google around and check my info and you will find that it is your router that is slowing down your transfers.

also keep in mind that a Mb and a MB are 2 different things. Mb (with a lowercase ‘B’) is short hand for MegaBit. A MB (with an uppercase ‘B’) is short hand for MegaByte. 1 Byte is the same as 8 bits meaning that 1MB is 8Mb. you will find that most devices and internet providers always use the Mb to make their speeds seem faster because the number is bigger ;)

oh believe me i know the MB and mb story lol. guess ill just have to live with what i got.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wireless can be very slow. B was horrible! G is a lot better, N even better but still not anywhere as fast as a good 100Base-T or 1000BT wired connect. When moving large files over a network Wired is the way to fly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
to give you an example of what i am now getting:

i have the gigabit apple extreme and when transferring a file from my macbook to my imac wirelessly i average about 14MB/s. obviously that is much slower than it is capable of but i have some other factors slowing it down. i am running another wireless router for all my B/G wireless stuff at 2.4ghz as well so that i dont have any G stuff joining my N network and bringing it down to G speeds. since i have my extreme set to only N and running at the same frequency as my B/G router i have internet robustness turned on with the extreme and that plays a major role in slowing me down. i do have the 2 routers set as far apart as i could on channels though one is 1 and the other is 11.

i could certainly do a lot of tweaking and get much higher wireless speeds but i have found this to be more than acceptable.

dtravis7 is right though about the hard wired. when i transfer a file from my pc which is hard wired to the imac which is also hard wired through the gigabit router it is amazing. i haven't actually viewed the speeds because it just flies but i may have to test them now to see what its getting.

good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.